Bartolini 918F issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bssist, Apr 29, 2012.

1. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    I have two Bartolini 918F preamps that I have been playing for over a year with no problems. EMG in one bass and Ibanez active pickups in the other. I have the 25k blend pots. I have had no problems until yesterday. I pulled the bass out at the gig last night and plugged it in only to find that the vol pot no longer gives a smooth increase in volume. It also is muddy (muffled sounding with no high end/note definition) until it hits about 5/8 full volume, where it seems a bit distorted and the high end is introduced into the signal.

The battery is known good. The other preamp is working properly. The only thing I can think of is that I plugged into a strange system last week to play a benefit that was extremely loud. I suspect maybe the soundman sent 48v into my bass that damaged the pre and I couldn't tell because I was wearing earplugs and everything sounded very loud and distorted to me anyway.

Does anyone have any experience or insight to share with me?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021