Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini 9CBJD #1 or #3 ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Type-55, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Has anyone heard or tried these pick ups in a 4 string jazz bass?
    The #1 are deep tone and the #3 are bright tone. I used to have a pair of 9 J#4 and liked them a lot. How do the new CB series compare.

Thanks,
    Type 55

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I just put the 9CBJD #1's in an SX alder Jazz and I could not be happier. #1's and ash bass may be bright; don't know your bass. Haven't tried the 9J's so I can't compare. Brian at bestbassgear.com twisted my arm to get me to buy them instead of the 9J's. He said they were higher output, clearer, a bit brighter and much better pups.
    To me, they sound like a good compromise between vintage and a more modern sound. They are very warm, round and full, yet always punchy and clear. I cannot make them sound muddy. The top end is very clear without ever being bright. Balance? Full, deep bottom, lots of lower midrange and just a bit forgiving on top. Harmonics are bell-like.
    The bridge pup has lots of growl and bark when played agressively. They are good for slap.
    The versatility of these pups allows me to get any sound I need out of the passive bass.
    If you get them, wire in 500K pots. They upped the output and sounded better than 250K.

3. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Thanks for the info. I guess I should have been more specific about my bass. Lull jazz, alder body, pau ferro fingerboard. The brightness issue concerns me. That's why I'm confused on the #1 or #3 winding.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    In my alder body, rosewood fingerboard bass the sound is always warm as can be. I play through an Ampeg B100R and keep it about flat. Bass and treble around 12:00 with low and high mid around 10:00.
    I also have a '76 ash,maple P bass with a Seymour Duncan hot jazz bridge pup. It is a brighter bass.
    They may be brighter than the 9J #4's, but I find them to be very warm but clear. Brian told me he was putting 9J's in his custom basses until he tried the 9CBJD. He felt the 9J's to be muddy and compressed by comparison and that Bartolini believes them to be better pups.
    Compared to stock Fender pups they are much warmer with a fuller bottom end.YMMV

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Quick point,
    Has Bartolini ever made a bright pickup??? I don't think it's their thing.
    Email Brian. He won't steer you wrong.