Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini 9CBJD1.... with a J-Retro?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 7, 2005.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm putting together a fretted Jazz bass with a Warmoth alder body / Status graphite neck / Badass II bridge. I thought a good combination for the electrics might be Bartolinis (as the neck/bridge combination will make this a fairly "bright" sounding bass), with a J-Retro for boosting output and also for versatility (I've read a lot of good things about this pre-amp from TBers).

I've decided to go for the Bart humbuckers as I really don't like SC hum. Anybody got any views on the 9CBJD1 "deep tone" Classic Bass pups? I've read Smash's review (thanks again for the research, Smash) and wondered what experience other people have had with them, especially in combination with a J-Retro. :confused: I play a fairly wide range of styles and I guess I'm looking for a Jazz that will do the vintage J growl as well as a more modern "hi-fi" type sound.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Here's my impression of them:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123790&page=2&pp=20&highlight=experiment

At any rate, those weren't bright pups in my experience and had the typical Bart soft rounded top end. The active 9E is a brighter pup but still nothing relative to something like Fender Geddy Lee's ('62 reissues). Also, Bart singles don't hum if properly installed. Bart says low noise in their description but they're more accurately no noise unless the treble is cranked and practically any pup will give you noise under that circumstance.

I've had the current Bart, Aggie, and EMG 2 and 3 band pre's. The advantages of one over the other in my experience are more in their design/amenities and little in tone variation. I'm guessing the retro is no different and that it's primary advantage is a drop in for Fenders.

Also, installing any decent pre in my experience will cut noise noticeably with any pup and make them seem a tad darker.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK