1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini 9J1 and Obsidian Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Edgiestwall, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Edgiestwall

Edgiestwall Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if you fine folks can weight in for me on this. I have a Obsidian Jazz wiring harness
    Traditional Vintage for Jazz Bass®
    obsidian jazz.

and I want to use it with a set of bartolini 9J1 L/S pickups.
    The pickups use a single + coil wire and a braid - coil wire
    PickupCable1Conductor.

I emailed the folks at obsidian and their response was
    "To use this type of pickup you will need to add an additional length of standard guitar wire to the outer braid, and insert this to the ground slot on the solder-less terminal."

So does this mean I solder a piece of pickup wire to the outside of the braid?
    If yes has anyone done something like this and does it mess with the tone, or cause any other problems?

Thanks in Advance

2. Edgiestwall

Mar 8, 2017
    Anyone?

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Soldering in a copper wire will not affect anything.

Personally, I'd just un-braid about inch or so of the braided shield, twist together 10 or so of the individual wire strands, trim away the remaining un-braided strands, and tin with a soldering iron. Basically making a single wire out of some of the strands of the braid that's about the same gauge as the pickup (+) and (-) copper conductors, small enough to fit in your connector body. You want to tin because those tiny little strands in the braid are really fragile all by themselves and would likely break off some day down the road.

You're going to have to un-braid it a bit either way. Don't try to solder to the braid with the pickup (-) wire still in there, you'll just create a smokey gooey mess.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Edgiestwall likes this.
  4. Edgiestwall

Mar 8, 2017

Thanks Batman :D

5. solderfumes

solderfumes

Mar 16, 2016
    That's pretty good advice, but I'd suggest that you don't tin the bit at the very end of it that goes into the solderless connector. Apparently it's better to insert bare wire into those connectors as they won't loosen as easily that way. I'd also suggest you reinforce the braid near where you split it from the inside wires with a bit of electrical tape or shrinkable tubing for strain relief.

6. Edgiestwall

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks, my plan is to follow Bruce's advice and cover the solder joint with heat shrink. Leaving the end that goes into the obsidian bare.