1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini 9j1 low output help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by asthedeer, Jun 7, 2012.

1. asthedeer

asthedeer

Dec 29, 2011
    I recently put in a pair of 9j1 in my MIM fender jazz. First time i played with them i was amazed at the tone but when i played with the band i noticed the output was very low i had to pretty much double my gain and even then i would get lost in the mix.
    I was wondering if there was anything i can do to bump up the output. I was told that installing a preamp would do the job. is is this true?

2. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    A Bart Preamp will definitely do the trick. Usually with Bart pups, you'll need a preamp to boost their best qualities.
    With the MIM Jazz, you'll need a 2-band, 3 knob config, stacked for more options.
    Look here, http://www.bartolini.net/ then try http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-preamps-ntmb.htm# for good prices.
    Congrats, IMO Bartolini and Basslines produce the best tone, not too bright and brittle.

3. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    I came across the same issue... sort of. The only difference is that my bass already had a preamp, not Bartolini preamp tho. However, from I was told, Barts could work with any preamp already in the bass. My concern then is if I used soldering of bad quality (I used rosin core because I was told at Radio Shack this was good), or some wiring issue.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah a Bart preamp would do the trick, they have a gain control adjustment built in so you can boost the output.

5. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana

Just put in a Bart HR 4.5 preamp in the bass with these p.u.'s .... after messing around a little with the gain control in the preamp I was amazed. The bass beefs up pretty nicely and the tone is very clear. Love this bass even more now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014