Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini 9J1 w/ Aguilar OBP-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MascisMan, Dec 27, 2003.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Anyone here use this setup? It would be on my Jazz bass with a BadAss II bridge. Trying to get an idea on what the tone and versatility would be like.

Thanks!

2. I have that set up in my FBB. All i can say is that the treble on the Aguilar OBP-1 is very agressive and the bass boost is also pretty strong. Also, i have it wired in an 18 volt set up. The one thing i'm not sure i like yet is not having the ability to boost/cut the mids which i think my bass may be lacking a little bit of. I'm quite sure you will get a different sound from a jazz as my body woods are a bit different from yours. Also, do you think you will be able to have the pre-amp wired into a jazz? I know the pre itself is a small package but space is limited in that little control cavity.

But over-all, i say go for it!! There is alot of good tones that you can get from that pre-amp, its very versatile and maybe you'll get more mids than i get but i'm sure with playing with my amps a little more i can figure that out.

Good luck.

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd go w/ a Bart 2 band pre.

You'll have both cut and boost on each band and an adjustable gain trimpot to tweak your flat output.

I personally don't think that J a needs a mid band. You can always just pan to the bridge pu for mids.

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thats a good point marc.

Excuse my ignorance, but how would the control layout be with the Bart OBP (Im assuming the 3.3)? Remember I only have 3 knobs...

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The 3.3 would have master volume (with Active/Passive push/pull), blend, stacked bass/treble.

You could get the 3.4 which has stacked volume/volume, mid boost/cut (with freq selector push/pull), stacked bass/treble.

6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    so since the 3.3 has one master volume knob im assuming it adjust both pickups at the same time?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, I wrote:
    So have blend and master volume

8. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Do you lose any tone shaping with the passive mode selected, or can you still eq (perhaps just treble rolloff)?

Glenn D.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    In passive mode, your signal is completely bypassing the onboard preamp so the signal would be effectively going right to the jack from your pickups (via the a/p switch, but you know what I mean).

There's no reason you couldn't add a passive tone knob for treble rolloff, but on a Jazz bass with only three holes that could be problematic.

10. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey David thanks for the help here.

So then is it safe to say with the blend knob all the way up both pups would be at full output?? Sorry if I seem reatrded on this issue, Im just trying to make sure I understand everything before I dump cash.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You've never used a blend pot before?

OK, when blend pot is in the center the signal contains full output of both neck and bridge pickup outputs - so essentially your sound is 50% bridge and 50% neck pickup signals. The master volume then controls the overall volume. You can turn the blend pot any way you want, to get anywhere between 0% neck 100% bridge and 100% neck and 0% bridge.

12. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    no I havent David. I completely understand now though. Thanks for being patient with me though, it is much appreciated.