1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini 9W4 with AGB/918-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by André Monc, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Hello guys!

I need some help with my Aria 1540S Jazz Bass Fretless 1974, made in Matsumoku era.

A few years ago I installed a pair of Bartolini 9W4 pickups. They have a beautiful sound but with very low gain. I contacted Bartolini for information and Doug send me some information:1
    • Output: neck 40mV | bridge 50mV
    • DC Resistance: neck 5.6 Kohms | bridge 6.6 Kohms

f2c549b0_fa62_44da_93bd_9b77cdc0ceda.

I decided to install a clean pre-amp to put some power and maintain the smooth and beefy 9W4 sound. Bought a Bartolini AGB/91-2

IMG_20151206_123331141.

Doug said to me that I can instal the AGB between the tone pot out and the jack in. Doing this I can mantain the V-V-T jazz bass configuration and preserve the most of the original pick-up sound.

This is the system assembled:
    IMG_20151227_122935266.

IMG_20151227_122943562.

Noble pots 250k log. Swichcraft Jack. PIO capacitor 0,033uF.

The problem: I take the bass to the studio and still has much less volume than my SX Jazz Bass with Pure Vintage 74 Fender pick-ups. The ampli is a Ampeg SVT Classic.

At home, using my Amplug Bass, they have the same volume, or near at least.

Any inputs???

Thanks

Monc

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You posted this in the DB pickups forum, not the BG pickups forum.

3. Any ideia??

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Most Bart pickups have medium output and require a boost of some sort. The typical Bart preamps have a trimpot where you can increase the gain.

5. Yes, this is exact what I did. See the pics. The Bartolini 9W4 on my bass is boosted by an AGB/918-2.

My issue is about the why using the Ampeg SVT-Classic the output still less than my other bass. With the Amplug, a small amp Oneer Block 20 Series and Hartke HA5500 both basses sound the same output.

6. I installed myself the pre-amp Bartolini AGB/918-2. I tested all trimpot volume range. Only on SVT Classic I feel great output difference.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Maybe the input is padded somehow on the Ampeg. I'm not familiar with that amp. Is there 2 inputs? One for active and one for passive? Or a pad switch? You have any other amps you can test it with? I didn't realize that preamp had a trimpot on it. I couldn't see it in your pictures.

8. Yes! I use 4 amps. One is de Ampeg SVT Classic, it has two inputs 0dB and -15dB (the bass with bartolini has much less volume). The Hartke HA 5500 has passive and active inputs (both basses has the same volume). The Oneer Block 20 Series has only one input, is my study ampli (both basses have the same volume). And the Amplug Bass, also for study (again the same volume).

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Then it's definitely the Ampeg. I guess just adjust the gain.

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    How far are the pickups from the strings? Can they be raised some?

11. They are very close to the strings. More or less 1,5 mm - 2 mm.