Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini/Aguilar or EMG

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VJP, Jul 20, 2001.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I'm about to buy a Modulus Q5 and I'm not sure which way to go. Any experience/opinions about:
    Bartolini soapbars and Aguilar preamp w/ 2 band, bass and treb boost only... or... EMG's w 3 band emg eq, bass/mid/treb boost and cut.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like Barts with Moduli. They just sound warmer to me.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i'm always thinking of getting a mim fretless jazz bass with barts.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    EMG + Modulus = Good for slapping...but that's about it. Pretty brittle and cold sounding. Seems to amplify fret noise a lot more, too.

Bart + Modulus = A lot warmer, and a lot better suited to both the graphite neck and to a lot more styles of music. It'd be hard to get away with Modulus and EMGs in country or classic rock gigs.

If you're wary of the Aguiliar preamp, why not get the Bartolini NTMB 3 band?

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Some people say they don't like the harshness of EMG's in Modulus basses. Barts ar warmer, and everyone I know who has tried the Aguilar preamp has loved it.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an Aguilar pre-amp in my Warmoth 5 string bass w/EMG 40 J's & it sounds GREAT!!!!! But like I've heard on this board, EMG's soung too sterile/harsh on a Modulus. I personally would try one w/EMG's if it is possible. I'm an EMG freak & 90% of my basses have them. If you're looking for a bass that'll cut through heavy guitar's, it sound's like the EMG's are the deal.

Whatever you deceide, I'd recomend the Aguilar w/eithe P/U. [​IMG]