Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini AP 5.2 vs. Bartolini NTMB-Any Big Differences?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm getting the AP 5.2 installed in my custom this upcoming week. I've had the NTMB in another bass, and as far as I can tell, the only difference between them is the AP 5.2 has a push/pull mid boost. The Bartolini site is unhelpful as usual-does anyone know of any other differences?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Bryan,
    actually this is a rare case where the Bartolini web site is actually helpful.
    If you look at http://www.bartolini.net/information/harnesses/harnesses.htm - you'll see the various configurations available.
    The Bartolini AP x.y numbers just refer to different configurations of the NTBT and NTMB preamps. The x number refers to the number of knobs in the harness. Yours is on page http://www.bartolini.net/information/harnesses/hr_5_2.htm - the push / pull you refer to isn't a mid boost but a mid frequency select.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, I didn't see that-I guess I wasn't looking at the HR abbreviation and was looking for the AP. Thanks a lot, David!

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Bryan,
    no problem. The HR refers to Harness, the AP refers to active passive - so it should also have a push/pull on the volume pot for active/passive.

There is actually a lot of useful information on the Bartolini website, but it's unfortunately laid out in a very odd manner and needs some serious rework as the routes to the information can be convulted.