Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bartolini assistance

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nagromtlos, Jul 10, 2005.

1. nagromtlos

nagromtlos

Jul 10, 2005
    a long time ago i bought a tobias bass, 4-string korean made, bartolini pikups, 4-knobs, 9-volt, active i imagine. Somebody dropped the neck through bass and broke the head. i left it where it fell for 3 years. My grandfather gave me an old "cipher?" bass made by some company that has metal logo that is a world with an "i" in the middle of the world..maybe called international? i am looking to fit the bartolini pickups into the cipher bass. i wrote down the schematic before cutting wires, fit the pickups into the bass its all great..but, i lost the wiring diagram i made...and i do not know what picklups they are called or what the preamp is called. if anyone would know what bartolini pickups/preamp came with the pre gibson tobias 4-string korean models, and maybe a diagram? that would be great...i of course will post a pic to show you all my monstrosity...however i think it looks cool

2. nagromtlos

nagromtlos

Jul 10, 2005
    it seems on my quest for this information that maybe my bass was not pre-gibson? interesting....it has 4-knobs...4 strings, made in korea, bartolini pickups the wood looks like three seperate woods, maybe like 3-5 peices? solid neck through i got it in like 97-98, but idont know the manufacturing date. also, where do i look on the pickups or preamp/eq for the model number? i just cant find it.....the only thing i found was E2-003B on top of the preamp board. sorry to repeat, hope someone can help me out :[

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Bart has some Bart "designed" pups in foriegn basis, the MK1 in laklands 52-02 for example. Don't know about the preamps but every US Bart pre I've ever seen has a white label on the pre with the model number. I did have a pre out of tobias (growler I think) and it was a Bart TCT-LZ and was wired exactly as the diagram on the Bart site except it had a Gibson mid unit instead of the Bart HTC (MTC, whatever).

4. nagromtlos

nagromtlos

Jul 10, 2005
    thanks :p i got it figured out without a diagram.. heh... experimentation is the key, however i cross wired somthing and my battery started to get pretty hot! ha! well i changed the wires around, found out i was grounding onto a "hot" tab and a :hot: wire on the grounding tab on the jack..woops....but it all works now, and i even grounded the gound onto a screw on the bridge, man, it's like no noise at all, amazing, except when the rusty volume knob is turned, oh well, it sound good.... ill post a pic to show you people in case you were wondering what the heck im talking about. Also, the pickups say tobias on them <i originally thought bartolini was on them> who know what brand everything is, but the preamp has some kind of spectral enhancer thing knob thing, and it will make the house shake :[ cool!