1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bartolini assistance

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nagromtlos, Jul 10, 2005.

1. nagromtlos

nagromtlos

Jul 10, 2005
    a long time ago i bought a tobias bass, 4-string korean made, bartolini pikups, 4-knobs, 9-volt, active i imagine. Somebody dropped the neck through bass and broke the head. i left it where it fell for 3 years. My grandfather gave me an old "cipher?" bass made by some company that has metal logo that is a world with an "i" in the middle of the world..maybe called international? i am looking to fit the bartolini pickups into the cipher bass. i wrote down the schematic before cutting wires, fit the pickups into the bass its all great..but, i lost the wiring diagram i made...and i do not know what picklups they are called or what the preamp is called. if anyone would know what bartolini pickups/preamp came with the pre gibson tobias 4-string korean models, and maybe a diagram? that would be great...i of course will post a pic to show you all my monstrosity...however i think it looks cool

2. nagromtlos

nagromtlos

Jul 10, 2005
    it seems on my quest for this information that maybe my bass was not pre-gibson? interesting....it has 4-knobs...4 strings, made in korea, bartolini pickups the wood looks like three seperate woods, maybe like 3-5 peices? solid neck through i got it in like 97-98, but idont know the manufacturing date. also, where do i look on the pickups or preamp/eq for the model number? i just cant find it.....the only thing i found was E2-003B on top of the preamp board. sorry to repeat, hope someone can help me out :[

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Bart has some Bart "designed" pups in foriegn basis, the MK1 in laklands 52-02 for example. Don't know about the preamps but every US Bart pre I've ever seen has a white label on the pre with the model number. I did have a pre out of tobias (growler I think) and it was a Bart TCT-LZ and was wired exactly as the diagram on the Bart site except it had a Gibson mid unit instead of the Bart HTC (MTC, whatever).

4. nagromtlos

nagromtlos

Jul 10, 2005
    thanks :p i got it figured out without a diagram.. heh... experimentation is the key, however i cross wired somthing and my battery started to get pretty hot! ha! well i changed the wires around, found out i was grounding onto a "hot" tab and a :hot: wire on the grounding tab on the jack..woops....but it all works now, and i even grounded the gound onto a screw on the bridge, man, it's like no noise at all, amazing, except when the rusty volume knob is turned, oh well, it sound good.... ill post a pic to show you people in case you were wondering what the heck im talking about. Also, the pickups say tobias on them <i originally thought bartolini was on them> who know what brand everything is, but the preamp has some kind of spectral enhancer thing knob thing, and it will make the house shake :[ cool!