1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartolini bass and mid pots not working HELP!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stix_clgi, Aug 21, 2012.

1. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Hey TB, I need a little help from the wiring gurus if you don't mind.

I'm encountering a problem I've never seen while installing a Bart NTMB-918f in my bass. My pickups are Tesla Corona-6fs with coil tapping ability. I've wired everything according to plan, but the bass pot and mid pots cut everything silent when turned past the center indent. The bass is stacked with treble, and treble works fine, boost and cut, but with my volume maxed, if I boost the bass to center indent or beyond it cuts out all sound. The mid pot is connected to the three way switch for frequency select, which works anywhere from center indent and below, but like the bass pot, if I boost past center it cuts all sound.

Anyone ever experienced this? It's so frustrating because I thought the hard part, figuring out how tok wire the Tesla's to a switch with no diagram, was over. I appreciate any help.

Stix

2. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Okay, so I finally figured it out. There was bare wire touching the shielding from the middle post of the mid pot. I ended up completely swapping that pot out as it had been soldered and re-soldered to a few times. After shortening the bare wire and resoldering everything, both the mid and bass pots work correctly. Weird, but I should pay more attention.

The Tesla's paired with the Bart NTMB sound awesome!! I definitely recommend Tesla pickups to anyone who hasn't tried them. The Corona's are passive w/ single/dual-coil tap ability, and they have a nice modern tone, almost like the EMG's, but are a little warmer, especially in DC mode. Plus the set for 6 string costs about $170, compared to almost $300 or more for any other brands. Give 'em a try!