bartolini BC Soapbar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abriemzh, Apr 7, 2005.

1. hi guys, anyone has tried bartolini bc soapbar pickup or other bartolini passive soapbar ???

all i know that this is a passive humbucker pickup with 4 wires.
    i want to know the tone and output level of this baby.
    i want to build a future project with this pickup or (as an alternative a bassline ajj-1 active jass pickups),
    im interested with the barts because i can switch it to dual coils or single coil.

i have ran searches in the internet, but i found nothing worthy on both (the ajj-1 and bc4c), could anybody help me with this???

i want to build a bass that is round & warm sound, but still have the clarity (the switching could solve this, dont you think???)

thanx for the help...... :) :)

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I just put a bart 72BC5K-B in the neck position of a frankenjazz along with a 59J at the bridge. The BC has a very full and warm tone that I'm really happy with. In combination with the jazz pup I get both a big warm low end plus a nice midrange kind of punch and growl. These definitely don't sound like a tradintional passive jazz bass, but I really dig them. They're more 'hi-fi ' sounding to me, and smooth. I didn't really notice any output drop between the soapbar and the jazz pups that were in there before either. I hope this helps.
  3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've used Bart BD & P2 humbuckers and find them to be deep and rich and to mix well with a band. The active Duncans you mentioned can be very bright and difficult to EQ to get a deep sound.
  4. thanx moo,
    do you use preamp with your bartolini pickups ?
    well, im want to build the future project with a tight budget, so what do you think if dont use any preamp?? will the output be too low, or any comment on not using a pre amp???

one more thing moo, you mentioned that you use a bartolini soapbar before, what position is it? or do you use a set ( bridge & neck) ?? do you ever tried a switching (coil tap) with them ???

thanx man. ;)
  5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've always used a 2 band Bart pre like a NTBT or my favorite the TBIBT which has an active blend and except for one MusicMan style bass they have all been matched pairs. You should have enough output but you won't have the option of boosting the signal with the pre.

There's a pretty hip coil switching setup that I like. You still get your normal 2 coil humbuckers but with just one switch you can have the outer or inner 2 coils of the 2 pickups giving you some nice options, the drawback in the extra positions is you will loose humbucking as you blend away from the middle position but it's still fully humbucking in the other setting.

Look at the second drawing on the second picture here.

I like this choice because it handles both pickups with one switch but there are many nice choices there and they all work passive. Have fun.
  6. great, thanx moo, :bassist:
    but i would like to know one more thing.
    how would the switching affect the tone (sound) ??
    (maybe brighter when using outer single coil or something like that).

i want to use 3 way switch on every pickup (series-parallel-sc),
    but before i do that, i have to know that it would be worthed (would bring different tone on every setting).

if you dont mind, would you share your experience?? :bag:
    on your experience, how would they sound on every setting (parallel, series, inner or outer single coil)??

thanx man,
  7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    A switch for each pickup works well too. So many choices...

In general series gives you the most output and a fat deep tone, parallel is quieter but cleaner and brighter. Single coil tends to sound more like a vintage jazz bass.