1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini BH2 and Ibanez bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jefbyos, May 4, 2019.

1. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    Hi there,

I own an Ibanez SRMS805, which features Bartolini BH-2. Love playing that bass, great modern and tight bass sound unplugged... But i'm mixed in band situation. Overall tone is nice, but i feel not so much dynamics, and i feel a lack of bite on accentuations... I think it would perfecly fit someone who wants a highly compressed sound.

Do other Ibanez owners with BH2 barts (or other previous similar ones) tried to swap the pups ? What was your experience ?

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Is it still using stock strings?

While I haven't got newer Ibanez with the BH2 pickups, I own a couple previous models with previous BH1 pickups. They might be characterized as dark sounding pickups. So, I use them with bright sounding stainless steel strings.

The SRMS should have come with D'Addario XLs as stocks. You might want to experiment with other strings first (if you haven't) before changing the pickups or also the electronic/preamp.

3. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    Well, that's a perfectly sane reasoning.

I think that's d'addario XL indeed, i have those on other basses as well, and the result did not lack of dynamics, nor on that one unplugged in my opinion...

But it worth trying some other strings, before going nuclear, yes.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    ... and also prioritize strings which have taper wound at the ball end side, or some might call the construction as the exposed core, or there's also a calling of saddle hugger strings, especially for the low-B string. If possible get these on the B-E-A strings and there are even some taper wound/exposed core sets which B-E-A-D strings are taper wound/exposed core. These kinds of strings will make the strings even more ringing, help to sustain the notes, and introduce more dynamics.

5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The Ibanez preamp that goes with the BH-2 pickups is what is compressed. I junked the preamp in my bass, installed an EMG BTC HZ, and got all the dynamics and presence back with the stock BH-2 pickups. This, of course, given that the BH-2 pickups are, as noted, are rather darker.

Another option: Bart does have six MK sized pickups that a player can choose to fine tune the basic tone of the bass (pun intended). But the fault mainly lay with the preamp, not the pickups.

Aidil likes this.
  6. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    The trail of preamp is interesting, and very logical when giving it a thought. I often play that bass it passive at home. But as this is a rather diferrent setting (on computer and monitors, at moderate volume, often rehearsing on mixed tracks) : it didn't really striked me. I'll have to give it another try with the band sometimes.

I ordered a set of new strings, it will certainly do some good.