Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini CB series MK5CBC, MK1 replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ny_chan, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Have any of you tried these pickups before? What is the tone like?

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I havenet heard anything about these replacements but people say before you change your MK1 pickups, do the preamp first and that usually makes people content.

3. My 55-01 comes with the NTMB. The pups is not that great but the preamp sounds fantastic. I like the chosen frequencies...... There is a good review bout it installed in a 44-01 in Harmony Central, the Bart MK5CBC. Just want some more feedback....

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I use the CB series J bass replacements in two different basses, one fretted and one fretless, and they have a great balance between response and thickness. They aren't as open sounding as the Bart 9J sets, and they aren't as mid heavy as something like the Dimarzio stacks.

5. Do you like them? Are they a standard higher than MK1s

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    fretlessrock,

Happen to know the radius of the necks? How's the string balance (with what strings)?

7. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I like them a lot. I had a few different sets in the fretless including Fender CS60's, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, and Bart 9J's, and I like the sound of the CB's the best. Each one of those other pickuos has its place, and aren't bad sounding at all, but the CBs are quiet and they sound full without being overly dark. On the fretted J they have a great all around tone and it completely covers the sound that I used to rely on my P bass for.

I've never had any kind of string balance problems. Neither fingerboard is a 7.25, but they aren't flat either. They are both 9.25 or 10. I have a set of radius gauges but can't recall ever gauging either neck since neither has needed levelling work or to have the neck gauged for a setup.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Thanks, Zippy - er, fretlessrock,

I'm considering putting one on a bass that's got a 14- or 15-inch radius, but there's a little conflicting info on the Bart site of what a "medium" radius actually is ; }

9. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I can't imagine how a flatter radius would pose a problem unless the pickup was actually radiused a lot tighter. AFAIK the pickup is flat, so you should be OK.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    The blade itself is radiused.