Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini CB series with or without a preamp.???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by piper2614, Jun 21, 2005.

1. piper2614

piper2614

Nov 17, 2004
    Happy Bottom
    hey now,

im a bit new to all of this so please excuse the ignorance. i purchased a sx 4 string jazz bass to fool around with and wanted to replace the electronics. the body is alder and neck maple with rosewood. i play alot of jazz and funk and looking for a nice slap-> bark sound. im looking at the new cb series from bartolini and see that they are passive. i understand no preamp is needed, but what does the preamp add that might be worth the 125 or so they are selling for. im looking at the 3.3 with a/p feature. also the pickups (if there not backordered) are the 9cbjd3 (brighter in sound.. thanks in advanced.

piper

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have Bart CB's in my Jack Read Model J and they are fantastic in a passive setup. I was skeptical at first because of my experience with the lower output Bart pickups. They are very wide in frequency response as well as being a bit quiet so an onboard pre really makes them come alive. The CBs on the other hand are

If you want/need the kind of tailoring that you get from having multiple bands of boost/cut at your fingertips then the preamp could be for you. In a SX I wouldn't go bananas with it. The Bart pre won't fit in that bass without routing so you are not only into parts but routing and a battery box of some sort.

I'd start with the CBs in a passive V-V-T setup, replace the junk pots in the SX with three CTS 250K units and a Sprague orange drop cap, and see how it sounds.

3. I have a set of 59JCBs on a bass I finished about a month ago. IMO that pickup and pre confirguration rocks big time! Some people don't like the bass freq because it's too deep. For my ears it sounds right.

4. piper2614

piper2614

Nov 17, 2004
    Happy Bottom
    hey now,

thanks for the great input. seems like ill go with the passive for now. i only purchased the sx b/c ive been wanting a jazz bass and the price is right. also should be a bit of relief to the shoulders (my g&l weighs a ton). to make sure i understand you, older barts are generally quiet and are enhanced by a pre whereas the newer cb's are already somewhat enhanced.?? and shouldnt require a pre. im def. replacing the strings, bridge, and obviously the pickups. ill def. invest in new pots, thanks for that info as well.

thanks again