Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini CBJD or DiMarzio Ultra Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by minuano, Mar 14, 2006.

1. minuano

minuano

Mar 14, 2006
    I am building a 5-string bass, from the ground up.

The design is a 5-string version of the Fender Stu Hamm...blended with the Warwick Corvette Standard. A bubinga body with 2 jazz bass 5 pickups flanking a precision 5 pickup.

I am set for everything, but the pickups...I am so stuck on the pickups.

I have it narrowed down to 2 brands, Bartolini and Dimarzio...I know Dimarzio does not have a 5-string precision...the Sadowsky humcancelling 5-string precision will go withthe ultra jazz 5 from Dimarzio.

Please help me decide what pickups to use. I will be using the bass for all kinds of music-rock, jazz, christian, raggae, funk, r&b, soul, bossa nova, just about every style I feel the need to play.

Which pickups are the best...the bartolinis or the dimarzio with the sadowsky int he middle?

2. I'm no efficianatto by any means, but I just recently played a Warwick 5-string Streamer stage 1 with Bartolini's and the sound was fantastic! My 2 cents.

3. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Two things:
    1) IMHE I really liked Sadowsky pickups. If you're going to use a Sad P5, why not have Sadowsky Js as well?
    2) IMHE again; matching the fingerboard radius and the J pickup is really important, otherwise the volume will be inconsistent across strings. I believe (I'm not sure) Ultra Jazz is designed for 10", Sadowsky is for 12". I also remember that Ultra Jazz poles are not height adjustable. What is your fingerboard radius?

Note that I am NOT an expert or anything. I just happened to have changed a few pickups that's all!!

4. minuano

minuano

Mar 14, 2006
    Thank you for the input, it is truly greatly appreciated:)

The fingerboard radius is 10 inches. I am getting the neck and body from warmoth.com and the only offer a 10-inch radius for thier fingerboards.

What I am shooting for with this bass is a blend of the fender stu hamm and warwick corvette standard.

The corvette standard has a bubinga body with an ovankol neck and wenge fingerboard. The stu hamm has 2 jazz bass pickups flanking a precision with active controls and a mini swith for the precision pickup.

I have always loved the stu hamm and always thought it would be a perfect as a 5-string. The corvette standard has always been such a gorgeous bass to me, the feel and everything, just not quite versatile enough.

Seeing as how the body and neck are coming from warmoth I have to work with what they offer...the body will be bubinga and for the neck I am considering canary with a macassar ebony fingerboard...all of it will be oil finished just like the corvette standard, but with the electronics and pickups of the stu hamm.

I guess with the 10-inch radius ont he fingerboard I should go with the bartolini pickups...I just like the vintage look of the exposed pole pieces...what to decide the more modern look of bartolini or stay with the classic look of sadowsky and dimarzio.

I say sadowsky and dimarzio because dimarzio does not offer a 5-string precision pickup, and the ultra jazz pickups are exactly like the sadowsky humcancelling jazz bass pickups...only about $150.00 less...

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The two pickups you mention are very different the Dimarzio Ultra jazz has a scoped sound where the Barts are darker and boost the low end more. I prefer the Dimarzio model J pickup. Its more in your face and cuts.