Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Classic Bass vs Basslines or Nordstrand

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Corwin81, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    The older Barts are considered darker, more woody pickups, but what about the new Classic Bass series?
    I'm doing a 19mm spaced 5 stringer and thinking of going with the CB MM5 pup for in the sweet spot(it can take the 19mm spacing) and EMG 40 sized soapbar in the neck(roughly in the P position). Has anyone compared the CB series MM pups to a Basslines or Nordstrand MM5 pup? also compared to Basslines soapbars?

Or has anyone used the Basslines or Nordstrand alnico MM5 pups with a 19mm spacing?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    IME with the CB J's, they have a more open range than the standard muted high J's. But to go along with that, the CB's lacked the low mid emphasis on the normal J's which give them a nice growl.

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey there,
    sorry to revamp this old thread, but I'm interested on these CB pups. How much of low mids get lost between the two?
    I have a set of 59 J1 L1/LN1 and I love the way the bridge pup sounds, but when dialed together the slap sound is kinda muted....
    Thanks.

Mo'

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's not that low mids get lost, the CB's just didn't seem to have the low mid emphasis that the regular ones did.
    There's just less low mids, it's not scooped sounding like the dimarzio ultra jazz.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I just posted another reply about these, but I'm using the Bartolini CB jazz stacks and like the sound a lot. They won't get mistaken for a set of Fralins anytime soon, but they have a very even response and they sound very full. They are on an ash bodied jazz-style bass, a Read Model J. That bass is going to sound tight anyhow, but the Barts give it a lot of mid and low mid presence so it doesn't sound clanky.

Pete

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, there's nothing wrong with them at all, I wasn't implying that with my statement.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You may want to call Tom Wagner about the availability of the CB series pickups in the type you're looking for- I have a set in the P2 soapbar shape and wanted another set, but they're apparently backordered for a very long time.

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Thanks guys!

Mo'