Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini classic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by maurilio, Jun 9, 2005.

1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Howdy,
    I have a question for the bartolini's experts :smug:
    How you can tell if a bart CB is actually a Classic? I mean what's the labeling on the back of the pickups? i.e. 59J L1 ???
    Does the small "x" (or "*") mean something?
    thank you very much

Mo'

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    every cb I've seen didn't have the copper plating on the back, and just had black back.
    Also, the labelling on the back of the pickup should say 'CB' i.e. 58CBP for the classic bass P
    Bart are generally good at labelling custom made pickups, i.e. ones they make for Pedulla, MTD etc, but IME they've only gotten more consistent at doing this in the last 2-3 years.

3. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Thanks.
    You don't know what means the "x" at the end of the #!?
    I've got a set today from a dealer and it was supposed to be classic bass, but the # says 59J L1x (and 59J LN1x) and the back is the copper plate. I have already these pups in my bass, altho on the neck one there's 59J LN1 without the x, and I wanted to try the CB.
    I'm waiting for the dealer to answer me back, tomorrow.
    Thank you

Mo'

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you take a look at the Bartolini site, there's lots of useful information there - including catalogs listing models etc.

I've seen them use 'x' at the end to denote a brighter wound pickup, but for jazz pickups that's usually the 59K range.
    All classic bass pickups I've seen have always had the CB - so I'd expect to see the model start with 59CBJ.
    I think you got given the wrong pickups

5. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    what is that? a 5 string Jazz bass?
    the classic series should have CB as previously stated.
    go here www.bartolini.net/quick_price_list.htm
    This should help you properly get what you need.

6. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Thanks guys,
    yes, I have probably already memorized the Bartolini site and is not....well...foget it! They have the basic information, but if you need more details it is pretty confusing and difficult to get in touch with them.
    Anyway, the dealer just wrote me back and apology for the mistake. He has already sent the right one.
    Thanks guys for your help. Have a great w-e

Mo'