Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini CX Pickups (Lane Poor)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 12bass, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Hi Everyone!

As most of you know, Lane Poor hasn't been in business for a while, yet the demand for his pickups remains. I have a set of LP M3.5Ws in my Hamer 12-string, and they are great sounding pickups, no doubt. However, I think that the Bartolini CX is a reasonable replacement for the LP sound.

I hated the EMG 35P and 35DC pickups that I had in there previously, and installing the LPs instantly brought out the natural ringing tone of the 12-string. It's like it became a different instrument, and so much better.

Anyway, I recently installed a Bartolini 72BD5CX in my Pedulla Rapture 5, and I'm here to tell you that it sounds pretty close to the Lane Poors. The stock 66BD5C sounds muffled and dark by comparison. The CX has a much clearer, more "stringy" sound to it, with a fuller spectrum from top to bottom. Not veiled like most Barts I've heard.

If you want a clear, open, wide-bandwidth passive pickup, go Bartolini CX!

--

kevin

http://www.sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca/~ab752
    (my own home page.... imagine that!)

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    12bass, thanks dude!

I know this post is a bit old, but I found it in a search and it's just the type of info I was looking for.

I'm still toying with the idea of changing out the pup on my StingRay5.

3. You might also want to look into the new Bartolini CB (Classic Bass) series. They are also supposed to more open sounding than regular Bartolinis, but maybe a bit less "hi-fi" than the CX. I haven't heard the CBs myself, but word on the street is that they are excellent....

Then again, I happen to like the raw character of the StingRay 5. My Pedulla Rapture 5 has a very similar "voice" to the StingRay 5, but the overall sound of it is more refined, probably largely due to the Bartolini pickup and electronics.

Tony Levin does pretty well getting a good tone with his StingRays!

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The stock SR pup seems to do a good job of cutting-through in a live gig situation. And in my situation that's a big deal.
    Our rythym guitarist likes to crank up the bass on his amp and muddies up the whole stage sound (can't really tell about FOH). I can't convince him he's f@cking up the sound of the whole band.

That's the thing that scares me about changing anything. I don't want to make a bad situation worse.

5. Frequency slotting....

Something I didn't really think about until I started mixing. In mixing, guitars generally get most of their low end shelved off so the bass and kick drum can be heard clearly. That is unless you mix Metallica..... where the bass can't be heard because the guitarists' egos are too big to let that happen. ;)

While the FOH engineer may cut the lows on the guitar and boost the upper mids on the bass to balance things out, really the best way to sound good out front is to have the band "mix" itself to sound good on stage....

I wonder if there is an easy way to convince someone to make a small sacrifice in tone for the the greater good of the band?

6. The stock SR5 pickup definitely cuts. I'm not sure how the Bartolini CX or CB would compare in that regard, but the mellower Bartolini C coils will definitely be much less aggressive sounding than the stock pickup.

The CX is probably the most "clear" of the bunch, but likely a bit more refined sounding than the original.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Some people yes, my guitarist...I'm still working on.

I would think clear would cut through, but it might depend on eq'ing somewhat (that and the BG's natural acoustic tone).