Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Electronics - Any Circuit whizzes out there?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scuffer, Mar 28, 2005.

1. scuffer

scuffer

Mar 28, 2005
    Hey,
    Does anyone know anything about installing Bartolini electronics?
    I just got a MME pickup and a HR 2.2 harness to use together, but i have found that the imformation that they have given me is very confusing. can anyone help me? I just want to connect the two, if you need to look at the info that bartolini sent me then i can send that to you, but i just need help!!

Wating hopefully....!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you get the wiring diagrams with the pickups and preamp? I'm familiar with their diagrams, and the prewired harnesses are very simple.

what specifcally is confusing you?

3. scuffer

scuffer

Mar 28, 2005
    ok, from the prewired harness, i have got just one yellow cable coming from the volume pot, but from the pickup i have got 7 cables of different color. i understand that i can wire the pickup in in different ways for different sounds, but i dont understand how, and i dont understand where that one yellow cable goes!

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    please don't take this the wrong way, but are you SURE it's an MME?
    I've only ever seen bart MM's with four wires, and Bart have a wiring diagram easily available on their web site: http://bartolini.net/instructions/pickups/passive/switching/Switch_Wiring_DualCoil_Pickups4_cond.pdf

Did you not get a wiring diagram from the retailer you brought the pickup from? Every bart pup and preamp I've seen has come with a wiring diagram.
    If you got a pickup wiring diagram, could you scan and post it? Or tkae a photo of it?

5. scuffer

scuffer

Mar 28, 2005
    Yeah its definatly an MME
    Here are some pics:

Attached Files:

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Where did you get it? As I asked before, did you not get a wiring diagram with it?

7. scuffer

scuffer

Mar 28, 2005
    All i got through was this circuit diagram http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/electronics/ntbt/ntbt_1.gif , however my circuit does not have the stacked volume pot as i only have one pickup.also this diagram does not show the on off active/passive switch that i have. and the document i received for the pickup was this:http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/pickups/passive/mm/mme_instructions_multi_page.pdf . there was no document describe how to connect the single pickup to the harness. i bought it from an online shop reccomended off of the bartolini website.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, well from the diagram you have a multitude of wiring / switching choices.
    however you decide to wire it from the diagram, the yellow wire gets connected to wherever you see hot or output on the diagram.
    The output from the switch will go to the vol pot, which is where the yellow wire comes in.

9. scuffer

scuffer

Mar 28, 2005
    But i still dont get why i have got 7 different wires coming from the pickup that you can actually see in the photo. they are not on the diagram

10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    You will notice on this diagram that it says that the pickup is "4 conductor wires", but there are really five wires, because there is an extra "shield" wire. (Do not use that diagram, I have only refered to it for an example of the confusion over the conductor wires and the shield wire.)

Does your pickup have one of the wires that looks plain or clear? What is this wire soldered to on the pickup end of the wire?

On the attached picture, I have identified what I believe to be the preamp ground wires by painting them mustard yellow. Does anyone else believe these wires are the ground, and if not could you explain what wires you think are gound.

Please someone explain what this person needs to do with the ground wires from the preamp and the pickup.

Do you have a ground wire on your bass that is attached to the metal bridge of the bass?

Attached Files:

11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I do not know what sound you want to get out of this pickup, but based on looking at the pickup diagram, I will guess that you want the "Humbucker Parallel" wiring arrangement. This would mean that you would solder the green wire from your preamp to the 1 and 5 (black and blue) wires, and the ground to the 2 and 6 (red and white) wires. This is a little confusing, because the pickup diagram numbers right to left, and the Humbucker Parallel diagram numbers left to right. I also believe that the plain, or clear, or copper colored extra wire is a shield wire that you solder to the ground. Please someone check my thinking.

This wiring leaves the 3 and 4 wires unused. Because you would use the parallel wiring arrangement, you would not need the additional coil for humbucking that you need for single coil humbucking. A dual coil arrangement is naturally humbucking.

What are the preamp controls? Do you have three knobs, volume, treble, bass? Do you have a switch in that preamp wiring? Do you want to switch your pickup between different sounds?

12. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    You are going to love the sound of that pickup and preamp.

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    as tim said, the 7th bare wire is a shield wire which should go to ground. The other six equate to the wiring diagram you linked to.