Bartolini Freaks - I need your expertise.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bartman, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I've been wanting to replace my pickups for quite some time on my Warwick Thumb 6 BO.

I currently have the stock active MECs soapbars.

I found the dimension of my pickups to be 32x118mm but the only Barts i found with these are the P4 and they seem like 5 String pickups. Anyone know anything about that?

Also which preamp should I get.

Any advice is more then welcome.

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You could talk to Brian at Best Bass Gear. He's my go-to guy for Barts. The Barts are a blade (not pole) type pickup so if the blade is wide enough you'll be good.
    I use a Bartolini 3-band and an E-pro U-retro and like them both. The sweepable mids make the retro my favorite.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    pretty much. As long as you don't get quad coil soapbars you should be fine.

Can I ask why in particular you're looking at Barts? I tried Barts in my thumb 5 when the MEC's died, I didn't think they made a good combination. It muddied up the sound. Now, I've heard them sound great in other basses so it's just that particular combo I think. I ended up after a number of different pups going with EMG J's.
  4. thanks for the replies guys.

MY concern is that I don't want to modify the body and I dont think J's are going to fit into a soapbar slot (too narrow i guess?)

I did consider EMG's and I'm glad you recommend them with warwicks because I might go for them after all.

I just want to upgrade my pickups but I'm stuck. I dont know which one's to get that will fit into my bass without any modifications. :(

im so lost. :meh:

David, can you describe the sound that you get from the EMG's compared to the stock MEC's u had?

PS (edit) also could you give me a ball-park estimate of how much new pickups + pre-amp (Barts, EMG line) would run me? I'm an extreme noob with pickups and I will definately take them to the tech to put them in for me. I wont tuoch that stuff. hehe
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I wasn't suggesting J's, I was just describing what I did.

The 32mm*118mm shape is the Bart P4 shape as you say, looking at EMG I don't think they have an equivalent soapbar.
    Just a bit more clarity overall, I was happy enough with the MEC's but they crapped out on me.
    Depending on what you get, I'd say $300 range
  6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal

I've had many Warwicks and have played many more, and I would agree with David that Bartolini and Warwick are a bad combination. The best pickups IMO were EMGs by far and I think that adding an EMG preamp with sweeapable mids would be the best sounding option available for Warwicks.
  7. remigioremigio

Feb 17, 2008
    hey there,
    i have a warwick thumb 6 NT 1991 stocked with barts.
    foo my needs the barts sound terrific.
    i must say that my thumb is a 100% wenge bass, neck and body and has a killer tone
  8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Warwick and Bart not good combo? you are kidding, right?

I had a Thump 6 NT (bubinga/wenge) with Bart, a Streamer 5 Stage I (maple/wenge fb) and a Streamer 4 Stage II (afzelia/wenge) with Bart. The last thing about their sound that would cross my mind it is mud!
    I remember how articulate and growly they sounded!

I really thing that MOST of the time good, clean sounds come from your own technique.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    With regards to your first question, it all depends on which pickups you have...Bill has some super clear and bright and other that are too thick and a bad match for Warwick's. I've not yet come in contact with an old Bart equipped Warwick that wasn't on the muddy side...doesn't mean that they aren't out there, just means I haven't seen them.

With regards to technique, I would certainly agree...I have a buddy where everything he plays sounds super woolly no matter how clear and bright the electronics and I have another buddy where everything he touches sounds like he's playing with a pick. So, I would totally agree that your own personal attack has a lot to do with it.