1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartolini help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GuyForrest3rd, Aug 9, 2012.

1. GuyForrest3rd

GuyForrest3rd

Aug 9, 2012
    I need some assistance selecting a pair of J-style Bartolini's for my active Fender American Deluxe Fretless jazz bass. It's got the Suhr design pickups in it now, but I'm looking for the classic Bartolini sound.

The ones I have found which seem like they would work are:

9CBJS S1/L1 deep pair
    9CBJS S3/L3 bright pair
    9CBJD S1/L1 deep pair
    9CBJD S3/L3 bright pair
    9SU
    9J1

My end goal is to have a sound not unlike that of a Pedulla Buzz series bass, but with my Fender.

Also, should I invest in a Bartolini preamp to go with the pickups, or will I be fine with the pre that came with the bass?

2. kpolki

kpolki

Jul 7, 2011
    I got the 9CBJS S1/ L1 deep pair and thier awesome ! the pre amp is also a Bart and the whole set up is great for slap and a modern deep sound with some bite without being boomy. I went into a music shop recently and a few bass players tried my bass loved it too ! . One comment I got that this was the most alive sounding bass he had heard in years. They were surprised because traditionaly Barts are dark sounding but not the case with these. Also very quiet for single coils.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd definitely stick with any of the CB's. Classic Bart sound would probably be a 'deep' set and single coil, like 9CBJS.

4. Fekwood

Fekwood The Mighty Beer Atom! Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I just received a pair of '9CBJD S1/L1 deep' last week from BestBassGear. Installed them in my Jazz and love them. I'm running them passive for now but will install a Bart pre soon. Personally, I prefer the dual coils over the single coil, but YMMV. I'd also try the Fender pre first and then if you still feel that your not getting the Pedulla Buzz tone your after, go for the the Bart pre, I love those too. Good luck!

lifer_ likes this.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If you're a slapper, like me, and like bright.....go for the brights. If you're mostly fingerstyle and slap some and don't want that brittle high end, go for the deeps.

I have classic brights on my Jazz and they kill for me! I can get that Larry Graham, Marcus Miller like sound. By the way, I have a Bartolini 3.3AP preamp in my bass as well. Killer!

6. GuyForrest3rd

GuyForrest3rd

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks for all the help guys! My main concern is finding pickups that will work well with my fretless bass. I won't have the added ring that a fret provides, so I'm a little bit hesitant to get the deep pair of pickups.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Honestly, I'd get the deeps for a fretless. It's not as deep as you think. You still get highs but just not the brittle highs.

8. kpolki

kpolki

Jul 7, 2011
    My next bass will be a fretless so Im thinking about a deep pickup in the bridge and a bright one for the neck (I think that can be done cant it ?). I think this will be a perfect combo for a fretless.

9. GuyForrest3rd

GuyForrest3rd

Aug 9, 2012
    Alright guys, I have another question for you. I've got the pickups now (I decided on the 9CBJS deep pair), and I have them installed along with a full setup on my bass (fresh strings/new battery for the pre included), but it sounds remarkably normal. If anything, it's less responsive now than with the original Suhr pickups. Help?

I'm not sure if I just haven't experimented around enough with EQ settings, or if there is work I still need to do to the bass to get to the tone I'm after.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is the preamp the original Fender? If so, you may want to try a Bartolini preamp. I have a 3.3AP in my Fender Jazz to go along with the Bart pickups.

11. GuyForrest3rd

GuyForrest3rd

Aug 9, 2012
    Yea, it's the original Fender preamp. How should I choose a pre for my bass though? The website is extremely confusing.

12. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    I've got the classic Barts and thier pre-amp and love it.

Just ordered 2 more sets ( 4 and 5 string) from Best Bass Gear as they are having a good sale , saved enough to pay for 1 set

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Go to Bestbassgear.com. You can get a better grasp of the knob layouts and whether you want a 2band or 3 band system. I put a 2 band system in my Fender Jazz. Bestbassgear also configures the Active/Passive control as I don't think they come from Bartolini already configured.

14. Jman5160

Jman5160

Nov 15, 2015
    I recently got the 9cbjs deep pair and felt the same way, I put in Flat wounds strings on a passive bass and the tone wasn't what i was expecting. I usually play with the EQ flat and then one day on the Amp EQ i added some more bass and mids and cut the treble by a little bit and I really got the tone tone i was looking for. Warm deep low end with some high-end that isnt pierceing or over powering, just a nice cherry on top . I never thought my old Squier affinity jbass i got from a starter pack could sound so good. Bridge pick up at 50% and neck at 25% and tone at around 20%