1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini in a passive bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by msiner, Sep 19, 2008.

1. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    It seems like any installation of Bartolini pickups I see or hear about always has an onboard preamp. Also, I have read complaints that Bartolini pickups have low output. So my question:

Has anybody used or does anybody own an all passive bass with Bartolini pickups? If so, what is your opinion.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    There are all different models of Barts, and not all of them have low output. I was just setting up a P/J bass with passive Barts in it, and it sounded great.

I used some old passive Barts in my Rickenbacker for years.

3. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    So how do you tell which is which? They don't list a lot of specs on their website. How about the Bartolini 9J and 9CB "Classic Bass" jazz style pickups?

4. I had a pair of CBJD pickups in passive fretless bass. The output was OK - same like my Jazz Bass IIRC.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
  6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    All bartolini pickups are passive,but don't need a preamp to work.You can set them up just like any other passive pickup.But the output will be lower.

7. I have two basses, each with a passive P-style Bart pickup. One is a Washburn XB-125 I modified with a classic vintage, the other a 5-string Precision clone with the classic deep voiced pup. Couldn't be happier with them. Both have strong output and tons of tone. The deep voice is exactly that, full low end with growly mid-range, suited to all kinds of music. The classic is more balanced and sounds great with any kind of hard rock or metal.

8. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I have a pair of Bart CB Series pickups on my Fender Jazz 5 and they have much hotter output than the factory pickups. I'm not sure of the exact model I got, but if I had to guess it was the dual in-line hum-cancelling version. If I still have the receipt at home, I'll fix this post later.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I had passive Barts in a custom jazz bass I used to own. They were nice.

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I had passive ones in a '68 Jazz Bass, and they were beautiful... very smooth.

11. dirtygoat

dirtygoat

Sep 13, 2008
    You can always install Barts with a harness that is set up with a push/pull active/passive switch...

Best of both worlds...

12. Had a Bart in my '69 P-Bass for a long time. Worked great!

dcr

13. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    All passive bass is good and so is active bass.

Both have pos and con and the matter is personal preference.

In term of low output on passive bass. I can tell you thats not a problem at all, since your amp have a gain knob and thats what it is for.