Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini in the Alembic ...oh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalie, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

Happy New-Year

I made a retrofit on my original Alembic Orient 5's preamps to Bartolini HR 4.6, a NTMB 093G (9V) family, and the out put of this preamps is way too low though I turn the output gain in the preamps to max already.
    I would like to have your advice what need to be change to increase the total output gain off this preamps. I am able to work on the electronic things myself with your advice.

Thanks and looking for ward for your reply.

Chalie

For your info. The alembic volume pot is 10k

Bartolin wiring diagram;
    http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/electronics/ntmb/ntmb.htm

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Let's see, not entirely clear on what you did. Did you replace "both" the pickups and the preamp? If not, that's what you need to do. The Alembic pickups are basically incompatible with anything but Alembic electronics. They're low impedance pickups, which is very different from the Bart's. If you're using Bart pickups, go with the Bart preamp. Otherwise, if you're using Alembic pickups, stick with the Alembic preamp. If you need additional tonal flexibility from your Alembic electronics, contact Ron at Alembic and tell him what you're looking for, he's very knowledgeable and helpful, he has lots of preamp varieties to choose from, and he can probably point you in the right direction.

By the way, did you check out the hatchlings on this guitar?

http://www.alembic.com/info/featured_custom.html

3. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    why would you want to change the elctronics in a bass of that caliber anyhow, the are some of the best electronics out there, and I'm sure they can be modified as all of they're electronics are user servicable very easily

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1
    The Bart 4.6 won't work as designed with potentiometers other than the value's specified in the Bart wiring diagram and the low impedance of the Alembic P/U's would definitely cause a problem. You'd need to replace the pot's with the recommended values and the P/U's with Bart's or comparable models. You'd probably be better off re-installing the Alembic pre and contacting Alembic for preamp mod's that would allow you to get the sound you're looking for.

5. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    only the 'series' pickups are low-impedance, so impedance mismatch possibly might not be the problem (MXYs, AXYs, etc are pretty normal impedance!)

But whats an Alembic "Orient"?? I have never heard of that model

(post pics...) :)

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Maybe he meant Orion?