1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini J as passive-only pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Is it true that without an active preamp, the Bart J sounds weak (i.e., very low output)?

2. Some preamps provide gain boosts, but most are unity gain.

3. Yes, they have low output. I owned a pair of passives bartolinis for jb. They growl (nice low mids), but have a lack of bass freq and volume. No noise at all. Seems to be the perfect pup for adding a pre and boost them. In passive mode they suck, maybe they´re good for soloing (clear and bright tone)

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My 9Js used passively aren't what I consider "very" low output but the output is lower than a standard Fender J.

I just turn up the amp some when using them.

5. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    I have passive J barts in my G&L JB-2 and the output is almost the same as the stock pickups.

6. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I have passive J's in my 'vette and they beat the hell out of the stock passive MECs. They aren't the hottest p'up out there, but I find they get the job done just fine. On my 'vette they really opened up the low mids and unleashed tons of growl that wasn't present with the stockers.

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The 8CBP Pbass pickup run passive has more than enough gain for me. From what I have read it depends on which model you get. Some have more gain than others.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021