Bartolini J-bass or Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Robear22, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I need some help and your opinions please. I just recently received an SX SJB-75C and I am interested in changing the pickups. I am choosing between the Barts or the SD 1/4 pounders.

I play a lot of fingerstyle and slap and want something that is deep yet articulate and when I slap has good punch. I did a search on both of them and didn't come up with much. The model of the Barts is 9J1LS. I have a credit with Guitar Electronics and both of the are pretty much near my credit amount. I returned a Bart preamp that I did not need anymore.

Does anyone play with either and which one will fit the bill?
  2. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Anyone out there? YOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!! :smug: :smug:
  3. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I don't know what an sx-sjb is, but I might lean toward the Duncans. I have Barts in a fretless jazz, and I'm not so sure they would be good for slapping, they are really smooth and quiet; The SD's might give you more of a vintage punch. Iv'e seen people describe Barts by saying you either love them of hate them, and while I'm not crazy about them, they seem to work pretty well with fretless bass. I am just finding that I'm a single coil guy, noise and all.
  4. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I sold my 1/4 Lb SD's after trying them on my Jazz. I have DM Ultra Jazz PU's in it now, and I love them for their tone and output. My 5 has Barts, I play a lot of different styles, and I'm known for my mean slap tone. I'd lean towards the Barts. 9W4s if you can get em. Mine are 57-J1s. Humbucking, and they nail any J tone I seek. If you can't get Barts, DiMarzio UltraJazz is my second choice. They're humbucking as well. The SeyDuncs don't sound good on slap. Too much midrange present. Not enough highs. If you were playing rock with only fingers, or with a pick, they'd probably be a good bet. That's where they shine. For overall tone, my choice would be:
    1) Bartolini
    2) DiMarzio Ultra Jazz
    3) EMG JV Jazz

That's my $.02 worth.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Is the reason why you're looking at those two pickups becaues you think they'll suit you tonewise or because there available at the store where you have some credit? Both pickups are probably on the darker end of the spectrum, and the Duncans will have a pretty good bump in the mids and less highs than your average singlecoil pickup. If you're going for an old school '70s slap tone, they might be OK, but I'm not sure they'll be what you're looking for if you're wanting a lot of crisp, clean high-end and detail in your tone. However, if most of your playing is fingerstyle and you prefer more low-end and mids than your average singlecoil produces, then one of those choices might be better suited to your needs.
  6. telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I'm pretty new to bass, but I have been playing guitar for 13 years. I recently picked up a Jazz Bass and put in some SD 1/4 pounders. I was originally going to go with the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, but something compelled me to get the SD's. They were great in our bass player's old P-Bass. They work great for rock music, but that's not why I picked up bass guitar. I picked up bass so that I could take a break from rock (gigged for 7 years) and focus on R&B, soul, and hip-hop in the comfort of my own home. ...just getting my feet wet, but I'm loving it so far!

I don't think the 1/4 pounders are all that great for slap. Like Bassic83 said - too much midrange. I was able to get a better slap tone out of the stock MIM Jazz pickups. The 1/4 pounders soung big and heavy. If I could do it all over again (and I might), then I'd go with the ultra jazz set.

I'm pretty happy with the SD's, but they aren't as versatile as I'd like. I want to play them through a few amps first. Right now, I'm using a Line 6 guitar port - which can get some useable bass tones - and I just ordered a Bassman 25 to practice on. I plan to give the pickups a while longer since I'm just not as savy with the bass as I am at guitar. But if you're interested in a month old set of 1/4 pounders, contact me.
  7. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    The reason why is because that is what they have available at the store. They were taking so long to refund my money on the preamp I had returned to them so I decided to just get an exchange. Maybe they will move a little quicker if they don;t have to give me a refund.

My current pickups are a little light sounding on the lows and I want a more refined sound. More bottom. The bass has a decent sound but nice pickups should take this bass to the next level. I think I will be using this bass equally for slap and fingerstyle and I think I am leaning more so for the Barts.
  8. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I went and ordered the barts and they should be here sometime this week. Thanks for the input guys. I will let you know how they sound.

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    just purchased some barts as well. 9j1-ls's as well for my mim jazz. hope they sound good. i'll let you guys know when they get here.
  10. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    both my jazz basses have is passive the other has a bartolini preamp.I love them.the passive bass is smooth and round.while the active can get as nasty as you want.
  11. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    What may help reinforce your decision is that I have a set of SD QPs and on one amp I have a great sound, my Hartke 1400. On my Peavey 300 combo, it's the horrible hum. I'm gonna try some shielding and re-wire, but I may be swapping my QPs out for something with less noise.

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    didn't someone in this thread say that barts were quieter than sd's? is that true, less noise maybe?
  13. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I use 1/4 lb pups in my Jazz and it sounds killer; slap tone and all. Now, I don't have just any old Jazz; mine has a Warmoth body, Moses neck and Sadowski pre. The barts I tried previously darkened the tone too much on my MIJ Jazz, but were great for my '76 P and '96 Stingray.
  14. I just put Barts on my American Jazz bass with S-1 switch.
    I love the tone. Lots of Clarity, smooth highs, and good mids.They are a little darker sounding than the originals but in a good way which is just fine for most of what I do.
    The Low end with a set of Elixer Nanowebs .055-.105's is awesome sounding. The Elixers did not sound that good with the stock pickups and were nasal sounding but the Barts really bring the best out in them. Plenty of Round Wound vibe without a lot of finger noise. And they are quiet exibiting no hum.
  15. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Hey Robear,
    Did you make the swap? What do you think?

I'm thinking about some new pickups for my MIM Jazz and wanted to get your take on the Barts.