Bartolini J-bass Quad Coil for Fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Showdown, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Anyone have any experience with Bartolini J-bass Quad Coil pickups made for fretless? I've used the regular Bartolini P-Bass style pickups in a fretless before, and they sounded great. Now I have a fretless with J-style pickups and I'm not satisfied with the sound. I'm intrigued by the Bartolini designed for fretless, but hesitate to spend the $ without knowing more about them. How do they sound? Do they enhance the growl and mwaaah of fretless? Also, the set comes with one long (bridge) and one short (neck), the standard Fender configuration. Are they the same except for length, or do they each have a sound designed for the location? My bass has the long in both neck and bridge positions, can I use the long Bartolinis in both? Thanks..
  2. I have a pair of quad-coil Barts in a MIM Jazz Deluxe - fretted, so I'm afraid I can't answer the fretless tone questions but can answer the other ones...

One word describes them, I think. Smooth. They're pretty impressive pickups.

I don't know if they're wired differently - I don't think they are, though. If you order a pair you get one long and one short - I guess you could get two long ones if you wanted.

I got mine from Tim's Guitar Workshop - $139 plus shipping.

I'm getting ready to head to the airport - I'm going out to California on a business trip and will be back Friday. If you have any more questions on those 9W pickups I can try to help then - but a fretless player might know a whole lot more about what you need than I do.

3. I have a pair of the quad coil 9W4J pickups coming for a fretless 4 I have in the works. I looked around hard for a jazz style pickup that was suited to a fretless. Most of the people I talked to who had knew anyhting about the Bartolinis recommended them. The jazz pickup shootout in bass player seems to like them. Check it out at , they say it had great warmth, which is what I want in this fretless.

4. Anybody know where I can get a set of the 9W4J s either online, or in the Denver area?