Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini J-Bass Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by td1368, Aug 18, 2002.

1. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I just got a Bart 9k1t pickup for the neck replacement for my MTD Heir.

Thought it would be a straight forward replacement. The original wiring from the single coil neck pu was a red wire to the volume pot's center pole and a black wire ( I assume the gound) to the back of the bridge volume pot.

I installed the Bart identical to the description above. The new Bart has one wire with a braided wire around it. I'm assuming it's the ground. Trouble is when both pu's are full on I get weak volume from the neck pu on the E, A, and G string. When I cut the bridge pickup slightly the E, A, and G string get full volume from the neck pickup.

Question is am I not grounding properly? Out of phase? Bad pickup? Time to fax Bartolini? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Your pickups are out of phase.

It's an easy fix - just reverse the leads on one of the pickups.

3. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Use the pickup other than the bart to switch the leads. You probably don't want the shield braid to be running the signal.

4. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm still getting weak volume levels from the D string when I solo the neck pickup though. Could it be the pickup or another wiring trick I'm missing?

5. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    That is really interesting. Before you had weak levels on the E, A and G strings. Then you switch the leads and now you have weak levels on the D string. It sure sounds like one of your pickups has a pole wired backwards from the others. Wired one way the E A and G are out of phase, wired the other way the D is out of phase. I can't really think of another explanation, but that doens't mean that there isn't one.

6. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Wait, maybe I misunderstood, it is only when you solo the neck pickup that the D string is weak? If the distance to the strings is the same, it still sounds like a wiring problem with the neck pickup.

7. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Jankjo,
    It's a weird problem. But I think your reading it correctly. I did have the pickups wired out of phase. When I switched the leads as suggested it remedied the phase problems with the pickups.

When I solo the neck pickup the volume level on the D string is low. With both volume controls up it's difficult to hear the difference in output but I believe it's still there.

I still need to work on the problem. Other than that problem I 'm happy with the tone and output of the Bartolini's.

Tom

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It could only still be a phase problem if you had 9w4 or 9w4j pickups. A pole-piece can't be out of phase - only a magnet or coil can, and I think the 9k has one magnet and one coil per pickup. Anyway, if it was a 9w4x you'd have two strings out of phase at a time.

Sounds though like a low pole-piece. Are the pole pieces exposed on that one? (don't think so) hmm.

Maybe the strings don't align? (again though, I thought they had blade poles)

9. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    geshel,
    It's interesting you should mention the strings not aligning. The card for the pickups said 59k which is the five string J pickup. The bar code on the case said it was a 9k (the standard 4 string J pickup). When I installed the pickup it fit right in the cavity so I didn't think anything of it. But it makes me wonder are the 5 string and 4 string pickups the same size? I'll have to check Bartolini's website for sizes magnet and coil locations.

10. geshel, A 9K is a dual-coil with blade poles.

td, 5-string and 4-string Jazz pickups aren't the same size - the 5-string pickups are a bit less than half an inch longer than the 4-stringers are.

If you've got a 9K pickup on a 5-string Heir, you've got a D string that falls between pole pieces - and that's why you have a volume problem. If it's a 4-string, something's probably broke.

edit: A 59K is a 5-string pickup.

11. Monkabutt

Monkabutt Guest

Apr 15, 2002
    My house
    *psst, allan, what are you doing over here?*

Monkabutt

12. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Fellas,
    Thanks for the help on the out of phase issue.

Allan,
    I have a 4 string bas. I think the low output on the D string is a quality control issue. I popped the pickup out. The copper plate on the bottom of the pickup is labeled 59k-L1. The dimesnsion of the pickup matches the 4 string pickup dimension on Bartolini's website and fits into the existing 4 string cavity.

What gives? I'm going to return the pickup to make sure all the model numbers match.

13. Monkabutt asked...

*psst, allan, what are you doing over here?*

Giving the fine moderators over here grief, Monkabutt - since I can't do it on the "other" forum any more :)

14. Good luck, td - I hope it works out for you :)