1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini J's on a Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 12055, Dec 2, 2006.

1. 12055

Nov 10, 2006
    I was wondering if there were any advantages to swapping the MEC pickups for a set of Bartolini J's on my Warwick. I noticed that a lot of high-end basses are running barts, but the anemic selection of local bass shops has prevented me from figuring out the difference myself. Worth the money?

-Ross

2. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Even if you swap out the pickups, they'll still be under the mercy of the MEC preamp. Personally, I think the MEC pickups are great, but the MEC preamp is iffy. If you're looking to swap out the electronics in your Warwick (and many people do), I'd swap out the preamp first. I've heard that the Aguilar OBP-2 matches up REALLY well with MEC pups.

One great thing about Warwicks, though, is that over the course of their existence, they've been equippped with EMGs, Barts, Duncans, so there's little doubt that they can sound great with a wide variety of electronics.