Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini M34 "C", "CX", or "CB"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kesagape, Jul 14, 2003.

1. I am looking for a set of Bartolini Soapbars. My bass is precut for 3.5's so I am looking at the M34C, M34CX, or the M34CB. Can someone differentiate these three Bartolini pickups for me. I am looking for a warm traditional sound with some versatility and one that will have a good passive sound (active/passive push/pull volume pot). I intend to use these with a Bartolini 2-Band EQ or an Aguilar OBP-1. Which preamp will best give me what I am looking for?

Thanks for your help.

Karl

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That sounds more like "C" than "CX". I don't know how the CB's fit in - they call it "classic bass" but talk about the open, airy high-end. Hmm.

3. Hi There,

I've tried the C and CX in my Pedulla Rapture 5. Although the bass came from Pedulla with a C, I much prefer the CX sound. I am a big, big fan of the Bartolini CX pickups.

The CX is close to a Lane Poor sound, with a more extended frequency response than the C series. The CX has a more open top end and deeper bottom. By comparison, the C is sort of dark and blanketed sounding. However, there is a nice warmth to the C pickups if clarity isn't your thing.

Haven't tried the CBs yet, but would like to hear them someday. I think that they are supposed to be closer to a Fender sound.

4. Thank you gentlemen. I have one vote for M34C and one for M34CX...any other comments or opinions?

Karl

5. Which one is "better" is a subjective opinion. Expect the M34C to sound like what you'd expect from a Bartolini (warm, round). Expect the M34CX to sound more like a Lane Poor (clear and extended).

I have Lane Poor M3.5Ws in my Hamer 12-string, and love how they sound. They are so much more open and deep than the EMG 35DCs that I had before. Not being able to get a suitable Lane Poor for my Pedulla Rapture, I went for the Bartolini CX, which I feel is a good substitute.

If you are looking for a more "traditional" sound, perhaps the CBs might be what you want....

You might also contact Jack Read at:

http://www.readcustom.com/

I believe he is a Bartolini dealer and may be knowledgeable about the various pickups.

FWIW, Sheldon Dingwall found the Aguilar preamp to be superior to the Bartolini 2 band. The Bartolini 18V three band preamps does sound quite good to me however.