1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartolini M34C Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by beam, Aug 18, 2004.

1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Greetings,

I'm considering putting a set of Bartolini M34C pickups in a Schecter Stiletto 4, instead of the EMG Hz's. i'd also be removing the active preamp in favor of a completly passive setup.

My question is, do you think I'd be able to get some good P or J tones out of it? I play mostly hard and classic rock, and I'd like something that fits the mix. I like a good warm tone that I can dial in a lot of growl if I want. So its either this schecter mod, or going in favor of a good P/J bass(which would be more expensive for what I am considering).

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Hmm,

I had that same bass with Bart M34C's. They were dark as a dungeon to me. The bass came with them with a passive setup that sucked. I put a TCT then a NTMB preamp in it and it still sucked. Dark Dark Dark. No tone variation. No P no J. Sounded like humbuckers. Rrrrrrreal dark humbuckers.

I ended up running it passive with a pair of volume and tones using a Les Paul Wiring scheme and added a switch givng humbucking series, both north coils, and both south coils. The single coils hum-canceled and the bass was dead quiet. I added like a 1 mfg capacitor to one tone and a .5 to the other. The tones were interactive so I had a variable kind of blend between the two pups for tone. Between that and the switching, there was remarkable range of versatility in tone and sounds. Been a while and I really can't recall how much of a J tone came from splitting the humbuckers. It definitely brightened up and made the bass useable.

That was a toastie bass and great for active cause of the huge control bay. But the neckthrough aspect makes for a compressed tone that is not conduscive to growl and great J tone. Bolt-on would better suited. And with a bolt-on you at least have the option to swap necks if you by chance end up with a bolt-on that's a thudder.

I'd say you'd do better going with a PJ or J bass for what you're looking for. If for no other reason, that queer pup shape of the Schec doesn't give you many options. There's a myriad of options for PJ's and many more for J's. You can just swap pups in those till you get what you want. With the Schec - you stuck like a chic.

3. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Thanks for the review and suggestions!
    I'll keep it in mind when I make my decision :)

If I go with the P/J, it will most likely be a Warmoth custom job with some rio grande's in it.