Bartolini M34C Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by beam, Aug 18, 2004.

1. beam

Dec 29, 2002

I'm considering putting a set of Bartolini M34C pickups in a Schecter Stiletto 4, instead of the EMG Hz's. i'd also be removing the active preamp in favor of a completly passive setup.

My question is, do you think I'd be able to get some good P or J tones out of it? I play mostly hard and classic rock, and I'd like something that fits the mix. I like a good warm tone that I can dial in a lot of growl if I want. So its either this schecter mod, or going in favor of a good P/J bass(which would be more expensive for what I am considering).

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I had that same bass with Bart M34C's. They were dark as a dungeon to me. The bass came with them with a passive setup that sucked. I put a TCT then a NTMB preamp in it and it still sucked. Dark Dark Dark. No tone variation. No P no J. Sounded like humbuckers. Rrrrrrreal dark humbuckers.

I ended up running it passive with a pair of volume and tones using a Les Paul Wiring scheme and added a switch givng humbucking series, both north coils, and both south coils. The single coils hum-canceled and the bass was dead quiet. I added like a 1 mfg capacitor to one tone and a .5 to the other. The tones were interactive so I had a variable kind of blend between the two pups for tone. Between that and the switching, there was remarkable range of versatility in tone and sounds. Been a while and I really can't recall how much of a J tone came from splitting the humbuckers. It definitely brightened up and made the bass useable.

That was a toastie bass and great for active cause of the huge control bay. But the neckthrough aspect makes for a compressed tone that is not conduscive to growl and great J tone. Bolt-on would better suited. And with a bolt-on you at least have the option to swap necks if you by chance end up with a bolt-on that's a thudder.

I'd say you'd do better going with a PJ or J bass for what you're looking for. If for no other reason, that queer pup shape of the Schec doesn't give you many options. There's a myriad of options for PJ's and many more for J's. You can just swap pups in those till you get what you want. With the Schec - you stuck like a chic.
  3. beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Thanks for the review and suggestions!
    I'll keep it in mind when I make my decision :)

If I go with the P/J, it will most likely be a Warmoth custom job with some rio grande's in it.