Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini M4 split coil pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bazzanderson, May 12, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Let me preface this by saying the tone I'm getting out of my Warmoth is incredible for an MM type tone. I've got an EMG-HZ with exposed PolePieces at the Sweet Spot and when using my Bass Compactor my bass sounds just like a Music Man.
    I used this EMG because I had it lying around. I'm now thinking of trying to attempt more of a "P" tone. I'm thinking it'll fit with my style of music better. I don't think the MM growl is working for the rock I'm playing. I'm not going to route the bass so ....here's the question... If I replace this pickup with a Bartolini M4, xxM45M Split coil ("P" like)(deep tone) soapbar...would I get more of a "P" tone?...bear in mind the pickup position is at the MM sweet spot.
    I'd appreciate any advice (in my constant search for that "tone").
    Thanks,
    -Bazz-

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think the pickup location will prevent it from sounding much like a P. Otherwise that pickup would be a step in the right direction probably.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You'll probably get a deeper sound, but I think the location of the p pickup plays a big role in the "p" sound.

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ....well a deeper tone is better (IMO). Thanks for the feedback Geshel and FBB Custom. I appreciate it. I'll do a follow up of my opinion of the tone once I get it installed.
    thx,
    -Bazz-

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey...FBB and Geshel. One more question. I've found this pickup at a guitarelectronics site. They offer both bridge and neck version (of which I didn't think there was any difference). Well...I'm having problems with the site answering my email as well as Bartolini's site. Which would be best in the "sweet spot" the bridge version or neck version or do you think there be a difference? I'm thinking the neck version but I could be totally off.
    Thanks,
    -Bazz-

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one.