Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bartolini: M5 or P4?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Berme, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    i will use them on 6 and 7 strings basses, so what´s the difference between them? i play progressive rock mainly. i took a look at their web, but didn´t get answers:(

2. I just bought a set if M4s about half an hour ago.

The P4 is a *five string* bass pickup. They make a model split 3/2, a quad coil split 3/2 and a dual coil straight pickup. All are too narrow for a six or a seven.

The M5 will work if your string width at the bridge is 72-95mm. I don't know if I'd put the split version on a seven-string.

I got away with M4s because I have a really narrow bridge (82mm) and they're drop-in replacements for the DX6 pickups on my SR406.

hth -

3. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    both M5 and P4 are dual coil soapbars. there are also 7 string versions of the two of them, though nothing about them is found in the web. it seems like there´s no big difference between them, except P4 having a slightly longer size and slimmer "body". I prefer M5 :) . Well, thanks anyway.

4. thanks, bermel - I thought their entire product catalog was on the web. Guess not - I appreciate the info.