1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bartolini: M5 or P4?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Berme, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    i will use them on 6 and 7 strings basses, so what´s the difference between them? i play progressive rock mainly. i took a look at their web, but didn´t get answers:(

2. I just bought a set if M4s about half an hour ago.

The P4 is a *five string* bass pickup. They make a model split 3/2, a quad coil split 3/2 and a dual coil straight pickup. All are too narrow for a six or a seven.

The M5 will work if your string width at the bridge is 72-95mm. I don't know if I'd put the split version on a seven-string.

I got away with M4s because I have a really narrow bridge (82mm) and they're drop-in replacements for the DX6 pickups on my SR406.

hth -

3. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    both M5 and P4 are dual coil soapbars. there are also 7 string versions of the two of them, though nothing about them is found in the web. it seems like there´s no big difference between them, except P4 having a slightly longer size and slimmer "body". I prefer M5 :) . Well, thanks anyway.

4. thanks, bermel - I thought their entire product catalog was on the web. Guess not - I appreciate the info.