1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bartolini mk1-5 mk1-6 same?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flameworker, Jul 9, 2014.

1. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    They both are 107mms or 4.25" wide, does anyone know if they have individual pole pieces or a straight bar? Basically, are they interchangeable?

2. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    Are they identical? Both are said to measure 107mms or 4.25", but what's inside? Pole pieces or a bar? Bought a sr506 sans pickups and need to find some replacements. Obviously there are more 5 strings out than six.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They use bars, but not straight. They are staggered like a P bass. Not sure if they are different or not, but if they have different part numbers I would think they would be different. They are nothing like real Bartolini's though, they are actually G&B pickups.

4. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    They are NOT the same. As mentioned above, they are both split and staggered, but the split of the MK1-5 is offset from center (1 coil for the BEA strings, and another for the DG strings) while the MK1-6 split is centered in the middle (coil for BEA, and coil for DGC). You would run the risk of having a lower volume string output if it lies along that split in the 5 string version (I had that problem with 6 string ones in my 5er; D string was weak)

5. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. Weird how little info there is about them. Does anyone know why the older ones 2000-2002ish ones sound better?

6. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    AH HA! I was able to answer my own question about why the old sr506s. Sound better than the new ones. Now they have mk1-5 pickups installed in them, according to Sam ash anyway .