1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini Mk1 vs. Mk2 in Ibanez basses?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MaxOnBass, Nov 24, 2010.

1. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

Aug 14, 2009
    Serbia
    Hello forum, could someone point out the differences or give a review of the Mk2 preamp (and maybe pickups) in the Ibbies?
    I had the Mk1 in my old SR505 (didn't like it too much) and now I am thinking about buying a BTB so this is kind of a big factor for me..
    Also, does anyone know if the Mk2 can be fitted with an active/passive switch?
    thanks in advance

2. Doggy79

Doggy79

Feb 23, 2017
    Finland
    Hi, Did you ever get any resolution to this as I am also looking into a new Ibanez and now there is the option of MK1, MK2 or the new Nordstrand CND P/J configuration. I think I have to go blind and order from the web so if someone has any comments, please share. I actually like the MK1's in the sr600 I have, but the next bass will be a 5 string.

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I think OP was talking about the MK1 and MK2 preamp, which had not been used by Ibanez anymore in years... not the MK1 and MK2 pickups.

And actually... despite Ibanez is still using the MK1 pickups on some of current basses, but not the MK2 pickups. These had been replaced with the BH1 pickups for some period of years, which then replaced again with the BH2 pickups in the last couple of years.

So, if you are about to buy new Ibanez bass with the MK2 (pickups, preamp or both), then pretty sure it's a very old model.

4. Doggy79

Doggy79

Feb 23, 2017
    Finland
    You are right, it is the BH2 pickup. Maybe I should ask the ibby forum for some guidance...

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Yeah the guy who originally posted that
    question in 2010 hasn't been seen around here since August of 2016. :D

Good luck with your quest!