Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini MM replacement pickup??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Ok here's the deal:
    I have an MM Sterling with the standard Sterling Pup with phantom coil for hum cancelling. It works just fine, but the G-string is a bit weak compared to the other strings. This is a common problem with 'Rays and Sterlings I think. I read a review of some Bartolini MMpickup replacement that cured this problem. My guess is that the MMpickup is a little bit too wide since the G-string is not at all centered over the poles.

Now to my question, has anyone on this board tested the Bartolinis replacement set and which type did you try? A quick look at the Bartolini homepage reveals that there are three types of possible pups for my bass. MMC- dual coil deep tone, MMX- Dual coil bright tone and MME triple coil deep tone, the triple coil pup doesnt seem to be available in bright tone. Since I do have the phantom coil in my current pup which works fine i still want to be able to run my pup in single coil mode with the new pup as well. So what do you think, is there a big difference between the bright and the deep tone rated pups or maybe it is just the MME triple coil deep that is an option with its three coils? Which is the most similar to my original MM pup? How much are they BTW in the US, my girlfriend is going there soon so I thought that she might be able to purchase it for me.

Any good suggestions, comments? Anyone?
    Sorry this got longer that I thought... ;)

2. Nobody knows about this? :( :(

3. LeMonJello420

LeMonJello420 Guest

Jan 9, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    I just replaced a MEC MM 5 pickup in my Warwick FNA with the Bartolini (deep tone). It cured my low volume of the G string issue and has a much better tone.

4. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Mesa Man,

I, too, am very curious on this subject.
    In particular, no one has been able to explain to me the advantages/disadvantages of a triple-coil pickup. I know EMG makes a pickup with a steel bar as well as two coils which supposedly gives the pickup a warmer sound (the Steinberger pickup was of this type, I believe). But I think that's different from having 3 coils. I don't know.

Since no one seems to know, I think I'll e-mail Bartolini and see what they say. Their material really doesn't say anything about the differences between triple coils and other pickups.

If I hear anything I'll post it.

5. I HAVE A LAKELAND 55-94 WITH MM TRIPLE COIL AND ITS PERFECT PLENTY HIGHS MID'S ARE PERFECT AS WELL AS LOWS. BUT I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THERE PREAMP AS WELL.TO GET THE TRUE DYNAMIC RANGE.GREAT FOR SLAP BUT YOU MUST MASTER YOUR EQ! OR YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HOW TO FIND YOUR TRUE TONE CAPABILITY.THE PREAMP ALSO HAS A INTERNAL MID EQ AS WELL AS GAIN ADJUST E-MAIL BARTOLINI THEY WILL RESPOND IN ABOUT A WEEKS TIME AND REALLY HELP YOU!

6. Well concerning the three coil thingy, as you might not know, the MM sterling has got a three coil pup as standard. The third coil is just a phantom coil which is used in single coil mode to cancel hum (which it does perfectly). What I really want to know (concerning the Bartolinis), isA: will it cure my weak G-string volume (apparently yes it will) and B: which one of the three models (deep bright brighter) is the most MM sounding pup of bartolinis replacements? But If you hear anything Saint please let me know. I have also mailed them and await their reply, since they didnt answer my most important question the first time, which is most like the MM pup I have now? This is important for me to know where to start.

This got long too... oh well stay in touch!

7. Hey,
    Did you ever replace your pup?

I'm interested in the Barts for my 'Ray5.

--Charlie