Bartolini MM-style pickups vs. Bartolini Soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saint, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Although I have read Bartolini's descriptions, can anyone out there tell me the tonal differences between their various (4-string) MM-style pickups and their soapbar pickups. And, what are the generic tonal characteristics of a triple coail pickup?

Thanks for any info our experts can provide!
  2. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Wow! Sinking like the proverbial lead balloon.

Some one out there must have experience with these two pickup configurations. Anyone? Please?
  3. I don't know the answer, but it's something I'd also be interested in knowing.
  4. Hey Saint, I've wondered myself why Bartolini makes
    4 different MM pickups. The few people I know with MMs like the stock pups. I'd like to know the differences with all their Jazz Bass pups.

Mike J.
  5. I want to know this too, since I have a Sterling with the usual Music Man weak G-String problem. Otherwise it sounds good. I read at BGRA that a Bartolini would cure this disease.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, here's the deal. My Laklands have a MM and a J pickup on each. My Pedulla has 2 small soapbars (all Barts). They all sound different, but crud, the Laks are maple on swamp ash, the Ped is maple on maple, one Lak has Lakland rounds, the other has Osborn flats. The Pedulla has TI Jazz Flats. Laklands have Bart NTMB electronics, the Pedulla has TBT with "Thunderguts" switch. Who the heck knows what role the pickups play in all this? I do know that they all sound bitchen. 'Nuf said, right?