Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini MM vs Original Musicman Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Captain G, Mar 7, 2004.

1. How does the Bartolini MM pickup compare to the original Musicman ?? Have people changed over and Why ??

2. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I just recently changed the original pickup out of my Stingray for the Bartolini MMC replacement. The results are as follows:
    ~Less of an ouput level
    ~Wider range of tones
    ~Bottom is much boomier, not as smooth
    ~GREAT midrange from the bottom to the top
    ~Fairly clean highs, but not as crisp as the original
    ~More of a hi-fi sound, similar to a Modulus

And for reference, I wired it in series mode, and not parallel. All Stingrays come wired in parallel but I wanted the best midrange and higher output level, which came with series mode.

Hope this helps!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just adding on to Jetta's comments.....

> Have one on my Lakland Skyline. Like most Barts, it displays the natural tones of the woods more. Afterall, Bill Bartolini made classical guitars before he got into the pup biz, exclusively.

Even though the bass is ash with a maple neck --- woods that have tons of "spank"--- it sounds more "woody."

I also have an Alnico Basslines MM on another bass with the "slap bass" preamp. That thing sounds much more "colored," down, & dirty.........in a good way.

Nonetheless, on a decent bass, woods and construction matter much more than pickups anyday to the final outcome. Fr'instance, I heard Nikki Sixx last night playing with Brides of Destruction............I'd be embarrassed to have the tone of his paper-thin Gibson that's sealed in some kind of goop.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm sure it sounds great, but I don't think you can really compare one pickup wired in parallel with one wired in series. The sound is that different that it's Apples vs Oranges.