Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini MM3 + DiMarzio Utrajazz: good idea?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Aug 7, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Having difficulty finding just a neck #9Js Bartolini, so I'm thinking of putting a Dimarzio Ultrajazz up front of the Bart MM3 on my project bass.

How would these two balance together? I hear that the Dimarzio's sound big and fat; would it add to the overall sound of my bass? Would it be better to wire this kind of setup active or passive?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Read Smash's review on the Model J. Would one of those be better and can you get them in just the neck position pickup?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    one thing to consider. Most barts I've tried have had lower output than other brands, so there might be more of a neck/bridge imbalance.

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Have to agree with davidmwilson on the Bart output. I've got (almost) the opposite setup of Philthygeezer. I'm using a Bart P5 and a Basslines MM in a passive bass. The Basslines' output kicks the Bart all over town. Love the sound of the Bart, but it's got a pretty [comparatively] low output.

Love the sound of Barts, but everything I've had them in up to this point was active. And this one cries out for it!