Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini MMC in passive MM SUB?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by manavdhir, Aug 25, 2005.

1. manavdhir

manavdhir

Aug 25, 2005
    hey guys i need some major help!

i currently own a MM SUB bass (amazing guitar btw :) ), anyway i'm thinking of changing the pickup as i'm not nearly getting enough output on my G-string as the others, and heard that installing a pickup without exposed pole-pieces would help.

anyway, what i want to know is 'can i install a bartolini mmc pickup into my passive SUB, without purchasing a pre-amp' etc...so can i just wire it up just as the existing pickup?!?

I'm really confused as i went into a music shop the other day and one of the workers told me i can connect it passively, then another worker said i need a pre-amp... :help:

Cheers,

Manav

2. bpocall

bpocall

Jun 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You can wire it passive. I have a Bart MMX that was wired passive in my OLP. Barts don't have the hottest output though, so you may want to consider that before throwing one in.

3. manavdhir

manavdhir

Aug 25, 2005
    thanks a lot bpocall!

btw, what's the bart mmx like? apart from having a lower output, is there a big improvement in sound from the stock p'up?

4. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I've got an MMC in my mtd kingston, wired straight to the jack, no pots at all. It came wired in series, which is very different than the musicman sound. You would have to wire it in parallel to get that sound. As I have, it sounds like a jazz with more meat. Nice mids, very even and clean. It is the bartolini sound, which I love, but not for everybody. It doesn't have the same kind of bite as a duncan alnico.

5. bpocall

bpocall

Jun 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It depends on your taste. It's a lot smoother than a mm pup. If you enjoy the agressive sound of a Ray, I wouldn't replace your pup with one from Bartolini. Also, have you tried raising the pickup on the g string side? That might help with your weak g.

6. manavdhir

manavdhir

Aug 25, 2005
    i've never really understood the parallel or series wiring concept...can someone gimme a hand! can someone tell me the difference in sound achieved by wiring in a particular way?

brooklynbassguy, i'm assuming MM p'ups are wired parallel...so if my bart is series, how would i go about changing it to parallel?