Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini MME in a Stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philthy, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I have a bartolini triple coil MME musicman replacement pickup that I was using in another bass. I decided to experiment this weekend and put it in my stingray. I like the sound with the stock preamp. I wired it in parallel according to the bartolini instructions that I had. However, I'm getting a buzz when I touch the pickup without touching anything else. It's loudest when the treble is fully boosted. It goes away when I touch the strings, bridge, etc. The bass is fully shielded...pickup, pickguard and control cavity. Usually, basses with poor shielding buzz when you're not touching anything. And then it goes away when you touch strings, bridge, etc. This only buzzes when you touch the pickup. It's weird.

According to the instructions, when wiring in parallel, the hum cancelling coil is not involved in the wiring. I believe it's only used when wiring in single coil mode.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!!!

2. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I have the same pickup in my stingray and it's wired with a switch to go between parallel or single coil (with the hum cancelling coil). I haven't experienced the buzz you're talking about. I'm not electronics expert, but I believe it is already hum cancelled when using both coils (i.e. the parallel mode). Not sure what's causing this, maybe a bad solder?

Dave

3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    OK...I did some more fiddling around with the bass and after further investigation, I've noticed that when I switch the wires around that I'm soldering to the preamp board (the pickup ground wire to the hot on the preamp and the pickup hot wire to the ground on the preamp) the buzzing stops. However, the output sounded a little better the original way I had it wired when it buzzed. Maybe it's mental. But why would the pickup even work when I switched the wires around?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Pickups are symmetric. Ground and hot are only determined by what the pickup is wired to. This is why you can reverse the wiring and it still works.

As for the hum, that's odd. Of course, hum is one of those things that is dependent on so many factors, that it can be quite difficult to eliminate from a system.

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I'm not an electromagnetics expert, but I guess that when you touch the pickup you are acting as an antenna. Is the pickup "shield" conductor wired and soldered properly?