Bartolini NTBT or Aguilar preamp.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MaddVibe, Aug 29, 2002.

1. MaddVibe

MaddVibe Guest

Aug 26, 2002
    Has anyone ever compared these two(Aguilar & Bartolini) preamps? If so what do they sound like how do they differ? Which do you prefer.
  2. Dunno about the Aguilar, but the NTBT is a devine preamp. it's 100 % transparant, unless you turn the bass or trebble knob. it doesn't change the sound in flat mode :)
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I dig the bartolini, too, but i've never tried the aggie. I've seen the bart for $70 with pots and battery clip, but not assembled.
  4. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I've played both on Modulus basses and I felt the Aguilar was meatier sounding and a little darker. This was a short demo though.

5. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've got a modulus bass with each, and I prefer the aggie (although, its not apples to apples, cus the aggie is a Q5 with emgs, and the bart is a Q5SS). I agree with Camoe - the aggie is meatier, and has a much much stronger midrange presence than the bart. I love my sweetspot, and the bart does sound very nice, but I don't think it'll be long before an aggie gets thrown in that one, too.

6. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Try them out for yourself. Everyone is different with what sounds "right" to them. I like the Aguilar preamps, they are more musical and the Barts are more buttery, but there are thousands more who will argue against me. Take the time, and find some basses with these different electronics if you can.
    My opinion is that the Aguilar will give you more control..........................................................:p
  7. jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Does your Bart have treble bass and midrange? I am just asking because I love my Bart preamp. I can select one of two center frequencies for the midrange and then I can boost or cut. Just wondering if the lack of midrange on your Bart preamp was due to a lack of control...
    I know they make them both ways.
  8. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I wanted to get the bartolini but I could not get enough info on it. Besides is seems hard to find.

I am going with the U-RETRO, can it be compared to with the other 2?

I am not looking for a particular sound, just want to change and gain some flexibility.
  9. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY

My bart is the NTBT, so there isn't any midrange control. And its not as though the NTBT sounds scooped, just that the OBP-1 has a very pronounced midrange. At least that's the way it sounds to me.

10. jankjo

May 22, 2002