1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini NTMB gain?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kevinmoore73, Feb 22, 2008.

1. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I just finished installing Bartolini US-made pickups and an NTMB preamp in my Lakland Skyline 55-01. How do I determine the best setting for the NTMB's gain knob?

Edit: In case it matters, I wired my NTMB for 9V operation.

2. I would assume that you should set it so that it matches the output of any other basses that you might be playing. Other than that, i would jsut make sure that you do not set it too high so that you clip your preamp to quickly...just my thoughts. i am sure someone else will chime in...
    Jeremy

3. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It roughly matches the level of my violin bass.

It's at about 75% which seems a little high to me for some reason. Then again, I can beat on the thing and not notice any clipping. I guess that means my question is answered.

4. Carias

Carias

Aug 31, 2006
    Miami
    75% is fine to me. But do not go beyond since you would sacrifice the bart sound.
    Best,

5. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    What do you mean? How would I be sacrificing it?

6. you'd be putting it on an altar and setting it alight ;)

I think he means you'd be cutting into the head room a bit...why don't you just try it a little softer and see if you like that better? It's really a matter of taste and what YOU think sounds best...