1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini NTMB in Warwick $$ Question....Low output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frankieg, Mar 21, 2009.

1. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    I installed the afore mentioned pre-amp in my $$ yesterday. When I went to test it out, I had almost no volume out if it. I mean, bass turned all of the way up, amp on 10 and it was about as loud as a normal conversation. Battery was new but I changed it anyways and still no better. I turned the trim pot on top of the pre module and although it got a little better the volume was far from being where it should. Has anyone done this mod that may be able to shed a little insight? I'm exhausted from the searches on this one and figured someone might be able to help. Thanks.

2. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    Anyone?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They aren't very loud preamps, but I'd go over the wiring again.

4. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    I know they aren't that loud, but this one is so quiet that there is no way I could use this on the gig. I went over the wiring a couple of times and it looks correct to me. The bass has two mini toggle switches to change the pickups from series or parallel or single coil. From what I understand of the wiring diagram, these switches are before the stock pre. There are only two pickup leads that go from these these switches to the stock pre. I soldered those to the corresponding lugs on the blend pot. There is a common ground wire that connects the stock ground wires, bridge ground, and the output jack. I soldered the new pre ground into this spot. I then connected the other corrosponding wires to my output jack. The battery wires were already connected to the new pre's wiring harness to I didn't have to do anything there. Looks like this pre is going back. Any suggestions on a new pre. I am now thinking Aggie OBP-3. This is one of my all time favorite basses to play, just not to excited about the lack of EQ adjustments. I like to have most of what I want to adjust right there at my finger tips. I would say that the stock two band pre is voiced with way too much midrange, not enough real bottom end and no zing on the top end.

5. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Is the blend pot new? Or was it in the bass already? What about the master volume? Is that new, or was it in the bass?

6. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    All pots are new. I bought the pre and pots pre-wired.

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Hmmmm. Maybe a bad preamp then?

8. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    Just checked my emails. I sent all this info to the place I ordered it from and now I have a return authorization for it. The place I got it from may be thinking the same thing. Thanks for your time in checking this out though. Much appreciated.