Bartolini NTMB or Demeter BEQP-1?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Fellow TBers...

I could use a recommendation here: I've got a new Carvin LB70 fretless (all-walnut w/ebony board) that could use some good aftermarket pickups and preamp. I've already settled on a set of Nordstrand NJ4SEs for the pickups, but am a little conflicted between the Bartolini NTMB and Demeter BEQP-1 preamps...

Based on what I know about both makes, I would ordinarily opt for the Bart. But for whatever reason, this particular instrument has some dead spots and thus, does not have as much resonance or sustain as I'd anticipated. So I feel the need to compensate somewhat (i.e. I'll be having the fingerboard epoxied, etc.).

As I tend to favor a rather aggressive, modern-sounding tone anyway, I'm thinking the Demeter may yield more clarity, cut and in-yo-face mwah than the Bart, which is a voiced with a somewhat more traditional tone.

So, 1) are my impressions relatively accurate, and 2) would I be losing anything by going with the Demeter over the Bart? Thoughts?