Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini on Fender Vintage '62 jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Aug 23, 2004.

1. I have thought about putting Bartolini jazz pick-ups on my vintage '62 jazz bass to get more warm darker sound. Have anyone tried that or is there some other good pick-ups that you would recommend? Like Dimarzio or Lindy Fralin

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Suprised Smash hasn't responeded to this but just ran across a response of his stating he stuck a Bart 8S in a '78 (which I assume to have been a Fender since the that was the focus of the thread). Anyway, he was impressed.

I've got a set of Bart PJ's with what I assume to be an 8s P pup and I've ran it alone and it's a decent pup. Just depends on what you want. It's quiet, clear, and mid to low end to my recollection. Should be a review under Dimento's P pup experiment - and Dimarzio DP 126 as well. In my experience, in general a Bart may sound a bit along the lines of a Fralin (though probably more like a cleaner Fender) but I doubt the Bart and Dimarzio are going to be close.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I do like the sound of the Bart 9J's in a jazz - although it's not a sound I'd personally want. It's got good low end, very good low mid growl. Definitely darker in the high end, if you have a very naturally acoustically bright bass they should do a good job of taming that high end.

And the Barts and Dimarzio are VERY different in sound.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    LOL:

maybe I'm not suprised Smash didn't respond. Had P bass on my brain and that's what Smash was talking about.

You'll have to go to Dimento's J pup experiment.

Sorry about that.

But Bart J's can sound a lot different depending on what you get. I've havd them not even sound like Barts.

I'd also check Smash's review on J's at the top of the forum.

5. Thanks fore your reply.

I have now looked at some Seymour Duncans and Aero. On bestbassgear.com they now sell Seymour/basslines but it's hard to find out which pick-up model there are rigth fore you. Anyone know how they work on a jazz bass?

6. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Keep the pickups and put a set of Fender ML flats on. Cheaper and will have you sounding like John paul jones. I find that bass to have good pups already installed. The vintage Fender jazz pups are considered to be one of the better jazz pickups.