Bartolini or Aguilar preamp w/ Bartolini Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Bartolini 2-band EQ

9 vote(s)
  2. Aguilar OPB-1

14 vote(s)
  1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hey y'all

I really want to make my MIM fretless Jazz active, but am totally up in the air as to whether I should put in a Bartolini 2-band EQ or the Aguilar onboard preamp.

I replaced the stock pickups with Bartolini hubuckers, and love the sound, but would like a little more out of my bass.

Who's got experience with either preamp? I have ZILCH with both, so I need your help. And this is my first poll ever. I figured I would give it a shot. :D
  2. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think you could go wrong either way... both are really good preamps. I have a bart preamp in my Lakland 55-01, really cool. I would love to try something out with the Aguilar, just to hear it... I can only vote for the bart because that's all I've played!

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'd say the Bart ONLY for the reason that I'm not too wild about the Aggie's boost-only operation.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Same here. I just put a Bart NTBT in my Edge Q6, and believe me, it needs that treble cut. Not always, but when the bass and treble are at their center detents, the sound is already very bright and clean. A slight treble cut keeps most of the clean, but cuts the finger noise. This particular bass doesn't need bass cut, but I like having the option. So far, I like the treble set just on either side of the detent.
  5. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    The Bart preamp at the detends sounds wildly different than the Aguilar with no boost... not really a fair comparison.

IMHO it depends on what sound you're going for...
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I defer to your greater knowledge and experience, as I haven't tried the Aguilar. However, the boost/cut thing was part of my reasoning for choosing the Bart.
  7. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah it does take a while to get used to the boost only design of the Sadowsky or Aguilar preamps. However I think the design "colors" the sound less than the bartolini preamp in their "flat" positions. That said, I have barts in my MTD and I love them!
  8. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    I have an Aguilar OBP1 in my Spector and I love the sound. It is really transparent compared to a lot of the preamps I've played before. It really lets the EMG's shine. It did take a while for me to get used to the boost only feature though. The treble never gets hissy even with the EMG's but mostly sounds good flat. The bottom end is humongus. Both are good preamps but I think the aggie is a little more transparent.
  9. cjlbass

Nov 15, 2002
    I have to put in my vote for the OBP-1 its a great sounding preamp, and when you turn everything down you pretty much have the sound of the bass, without the preamp. I really like where the EQ is. I will say that installation in a MIM jazz might be a bit of a chore. You need to fit a pair of batteries, and the preamp itself in there somewhere, and the jazz bass control cavity is just not that big. Its doable, but may require a bit of routing, and you will probably need to move the jack, or get a stacked knob for the bass and treble controls.