Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini or Basslines Soapbars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 27, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Ok, I'm getting Tobias Toby Pro-5 in a couple months. I want to change the pickups and preamp. Which soapbar style pickups would you reccomend for it? Bartolini or Basslines? I'm wanting a fat, punchy slap sound with versaliity for finger playing.

~Patrick

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I wouldn't go with the Barts. The Barts tend to be warm and smooth as opposed to punchy. I think you'll like the Basslines better if that is what you are after. In fact, if you have enough money, go for Aero pups. They are very pricey, but they will do exactly what you are after.

3. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    Barts are too metalic for me.
    i would prefer bass line pick ups with an aguillar preamp.

but,i hope that your TOBY PRO 5 is not from musicyo.
    go at warmoth.com instead.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Why not musicyo.com? Warmoth sells Tobias?

~Patrick

5. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    No
    Warmoth doesn't sell Tobias basses:cool:

6. I've got a Tobias Pro 5 and was thinking of doing the same thing in a couple of weeks, I want to put in Bassline Soapbars, can anyone recommend some good electornics to go with them?

7. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I want to do the same with a Toby Deluxe 4 (lefty)...
    also looking for suggestions!
    Thanks

8. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I replaced my Bartolini P2's with Basslines ASB5's and what a difference. I did it just to see what the difference was and the sound became very round and open instead of the focused mids. My bass went from some punch to very punchy but they were still smooth. I was so impressed with them that when I sold that bass I put the Barts back in it and kept the Basslines.

9. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    if you are searching for a good bass at low price, watch for a warmoth.
    musicyo is not good enough.
    moreover, on your warmoth you could have bassline pick ups i recommand you,with changing it(and without paying the price of other pick ups you won t need after).

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    "fat, punchy slap sound with versaliity for finger playing"?

Easy. Bartolini.

My experience has been very different from what I'm seeing in this thread. I have Barts in about ten basses, they generally punch like crazy, sound great for fingerstyle, have excellent clear highs and just do what I want pickups to do... sound like the bass I'm playing.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A new Warmoth is not low priced.

12. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Live Divergences! I did the opposite pup replacement and I'm very pleased with the Bartolini P2 model! :cool:

13. Barts have the best all around tone of any pickup I've used. There are other brands that may be better at this or that, but, none do everything as well as Barts.