Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini or Dimarzio?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xcental34x, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Dimarzio

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. Bartolini

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I was listening to Alkaline Trio on Letterman last night, and I was amazed by Dan Adriano's GPC Jazz sound. I remember him using Dimarzio Ultra Jazz from guitarpunk.com. I tried a used Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz V with Barts last week at GC and it had a similar sound, which could be do to the preamp. Which pickups would get a smoother but more hi-fi sound with a pick?

~Patrick

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Both are great, but the Barts are just special. I love how the 9J's are contoured to match the fretboard radius for good string balance. Of course the model J's have adjustable poles, but it's kinda ugly to look at. LOVE the grrrowl of the 9J#1.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I already plan on going for a J-retro. I want this Jazz Bass to be the ultimate tone and looks machine. I even plan on getting some LED's if I ever get some money. So Barts would be best with the Retro and a pick? What kind of a sound could I expect. I'm a huge fan of the Marcus Miller Jazz and already have a Leo Quan BA on it, so would it be possible to get that sort of tone.

~Patrick

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Which Barts would give me a more airy, hi-fi sound with a pick?

~Patrick

6. Barts are the greatest for fretless.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Except that he doesn't review the Ultra Jazzes (although he does make a reference to the BP review), or any Bartolinis.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i like my barts

10. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Jazz pickups? I'd say the 9J#4.

11. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    FWIW,
    My favorite Bart pickup was the 9W4J....THE pickup for burpy, syrupy bridge PU tone!! Realy a shame that Bartolini discontinued the pickup. It had 4 (yes, count 'em....4!) coils in each pickup. I can imagine they were no fun or profitable to make!