Bartolini or Symour Duncan Bassline Pickup for Stingray 5?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ntistt01, Nov 29, 2002.

1. ntistt01

Apr 11, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I've got a late 90's Stingray 5 that I'm using with a H-Series Demeter, QSC RMX2450, 2 x Aggie GS112's and a Carvin 15. I'm thinking about getting a Bartolini 72MV5E or Basslines SMB-5 pickup. I would appreciate any feed-back from those who are using these pickups. Also should I replace the Pre-Amp as well and what Pre-Amp to use?

I'm looking for a more thick, buttery sound.

Thanks much.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Ive tried both, and eventually put the stock pickup back in. Both pickups sound nice, but they certainly don't sound like a stingray.

The Bart sounded darker, smoother, but lost the 'Ray character altogether. The Basslines sounded snappier with a smoother high end, but again, lost the "gutsy" sound of the 'Ray. If you are going the Basslines route, be sure to try the Basslines preamp as well.
  3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    I agree 100% with Eric, although I didn't go back to stock after I installed the Basslines alnico pickup and preamp. I'm very happy with both of them

keep groooovin'
  4. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Maybe I can help..
    I replaced my SR5 pre with a basslines 3 band MM replacement pre from Seymour Duncan because the sound just felt weak with my stock pre. The duncan sounds VERY close to the stock pre but has a smoother characteristic than the stocker. If you want to make your sound more "modern" then the duncan is a good choice. Im going to try the Alnico pickup with it and see what happens as well. You cant go wrong either way. Thats my 2 cents.
  5. ntistt01

Apr 11, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to stay with the stock pre and pickup for now unless Santa brings me one.